VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid: Regarding K-ON - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid

Welcome to Vocaloid Otaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and access to other features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, join our Vocaloid community and you will gain access to a plethora of cool stuff, including music downloads and different layouts (which you can select at the bottom of the screen, where it says "Vocaloid Otaku Minimal").

Registration is simple and fast. It won't fetch you more than a minute. What're ya waiting for?
Hop onto Vocaloid Otaku today!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Regarding K-ON

#1 User is offline   Nova Icon

• Climax Fantasia!
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Favorite Producer/s:SWANTONE, LIQ

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

Now no. This isn't another random 'Lets talk about how great K-ON is' type of thread. I'm looking for some solid views here. Please don't just say "K-ON is great, go watch it." I want an actual opinion here. Please, give me a bit of detail, what I mean is. How good is the show in terms of story and music. I mean, I've heard some good things about the music. But I never watch it because no one gives a good concrete opinion of exactly what makes the show good. Are the Characters likeable? Is there any really serious moment that turns into a tear-jerker or something? Do characters go through really bad personal problems? I know they're in a band so I'm sure there would be some sort of problem with that as well since there is the possibility of characters not getting along. And no I don't mean something silly. I mean something more serious to the point the band almost breaks up.

Now you're all probably wondering why I'm asking this of you. Well, Recently I finished up a visual novel by the name of Kira Kira. It's a REALLY good Visual Novel which is similar to K-ON in some ways, but it takes itself more seriously with being in a band and the characters are expanded upon quite a bit. I suppose I'm being a bit biased in that way I suppose since anime can only have so many episodes. Well, if anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.
Posted Image

Posted Image
^Come check out Modern Fantasia

#2 User is offline   Clove Icon

• I am an adult.
  • Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members
  • Favorite Producer/s:OSTER project

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:46 AM

I think K-On is pretty shallow, but... it's really supposed to be shallow.

About 90% of it his silly jokes, running gags, and quirky character traits.
The other 10% is music.

The characters really come down to generic archetypes that most anime-fans are familiar with and almost nothing comes as a gigantic surprise.

There is no real climax, important plot points, and for the most part every episode was self-contained except for some over-arching goal. For the most part, it's on the same intellectual caliber of a children's cartoon in America. Which isn't bad, but provides a very casual viewing experience that really shouldn't be compared to something that really focuses on character development and plot.

K-On is silly and meant to be enjoyed. There's not really much else to say about it. With the description that you're giving of your visual novel, I feel like comparing the two would be an apples and oranges type of argument. If you want to compare K-On in terms of quality of the genre, I really prefer something like Nichijou or Azumanga Daioh. The writing in those shows is usually much better, and both try to be adventurous with their efforts.

tl;dr K-On isn't about the story, it's widely regarded as comedic, and even then I don't particularly consider it the best out there

#3 User is online   ninjamitsuki Icon

• Rabid Vash Fangirl
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Favorite Producer/s:Seiko-p

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:48 AM

What Josephine said, except much more negative for me. I hate that show.

The characters are just shallow stereotypes. And the jokes aren't even funny, they're very predictable. If there's a chance for Yui to fall, she'll fall right on her ass in the most moeblob way possible.

It just feels like moe fap fodder.

#4 User is offline   Clove Icon

• I am an adult.
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:OSTER project

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

Aaaaand ninjamitsuki just hit the other part of this that's really important.

It's like one of those Barbie movies they keep making, I guess. A lot of the show is driven by the market.
And I must salute them for producing something that scored higher than Lucky Star when it comes to marketability.

I mean, "What if we had a bunch of pudgy high school girls who play guitar and fall on their ass," is a pretty good pitch!

If you do want a good show in the same vein, go watch Nichijou.

#5 User is offline   Nova Icon

• Climax Fantasia!
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Favorite Producer/s:SWANTONE, LIQ

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thanks a lot. This opens my eyes a bit. I don't mind comedy so I figure I'll give a few episodes a try to see if it sticks.
Posted Image

Posted Image
^Come check out Modern Fantasia

#6 User is offline    Icon

• (>▽<。)
  • Icon

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

TL:DR
Spoiler

In short, after you have watched first few episodes(S1) and you don't like the characters, you don't have to watch anymore lol.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users