VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid: Will Gumi dethrone Miku? - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid

Welcome to Vocaloid Otaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and access to other features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, join our Vocaloid community and you will gain access to a plethora of cool stuff, including music downloads and different layouts (which you can select at the bottom of the screen, where it says "Vocaloid Otaku Minimal").

Registration is simple and fast. It won't fetch you more than a minute. What're ya waiting for?
Hop onto Vocaloid Otaku today!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will Gumi dethrone Miku?

Poll: Will Gumi dethrone Miku? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Gumi will become more popular than Miku?

1. Voted Yes (16 votes [23.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.19%

2. Voted No (53 votes [76.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fragments Icon

• Dμ34=不死
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Favorite Producer/s:all of them

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

Although she was largely forgotten about in the months after her release, Gumi suddenly experienced a surge of popularity in 2010. Since then, she's been on the rise, scoring #1 hit after #1 hit and easily rivaling more established Vocaloids in popularity. Her new V3 voicebanks have made her even more popular, to the point where this week's top 3 songs were all sung by her! She's definitely made a big name for herself, but the question is: Is she big enough to replace Miku as the most popular Vocaloid?
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Alexander The Great Icon

• Macedonian Warmaster
  • Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members
  • Favorite Producer/s:Mentairocker, Ginsuke, Jin

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

Perhaps.

But IA is beginning to show results, that she is gonna be a fierce competitor to Gumi.
She's already won 1st place 2 weeks after her release.
(silly pun lol) Her developer is 1st place xD

Gumi's won 1st place quite a number of times on weekly rankings and could dethrone Miku.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Mokou Icon

• trash child
  • Icon

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

Perhaps,and I would like that actually. However,all my support goes to Tone Rion. That sweet girl is so precious.<3
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Valkyrja Icon

• I am the Pumpkin Queen!
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:kaoling, Clean Tears <3

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

I don't think so. While Gumi may achieve outstanding popularity, I think Miku will always remain "the most popular", just because she's really what brought vocaloid out into the spotlight in the first place.
IA - LILY - LUKA
~Vocaloid Trinity~

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Alexander The Great Icon

• Macedonian Warmaster
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:Mentairocker, Ginsuke, Jin

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

Actually now that I think of it.

Miku is going to be the most popular vocaloid for some time.

Gumi merch is almost non-existant.

Go to conventions. Miku Plush dolls, Miku Keychains, figurines. It's all there.

Miku merch all over, toyota, Google Chrome ads. She is the most advertised and got probably the most released Vocaloid songs/videos.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 小歌~*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

A lot of people prefer Megpoid to Miku, but why does Miku have more stuff: 'cuz Crypton is a marketing giant. Also, the reason why Miku has more stuff at cons is because she sells. While she's not the most popular, she's the most famous, which is the one thing keeping her a live. But seriously, if you ask anyone who's into vocaloid that has stayed with if for a decent amount of time, you'll definitely see that people like Megpoid better.

#7 User is offline   Zana Icon

• I moustache you a question, but I'll shave it for later.
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

View PostNekoshey, on 13 February 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

I don't think so. While Gumi may achieve outstanding popularity, I think Miku will always remain "the most popular", just because she's really what brought vocaloid out into the spotlight in the first place.

Agreed. She's become an icon and what I like to think of as a "gateway Vocaloid": most people first learn about Vocaloids through Miku, since she's so prevalent. Her popularity isn't so much about the voice anymore as it is the status she's achieved. The more advanced the technology gets, the better voices we'll have, but I have a feeling Miku will stick around regardless. She's kinda like the Mickey Mouse of Vocaloids.

You can haz links
Ps: I have signatures turned off, so don't expect me to remember what's in here.

#8 User is offline   aamucoffee Icon

• ex Iltahopea
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:nekobolo

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Even though GUMI is getting a lot of attention at the moment and Miku is getting more and more hate, it will always be Miku who made Vocaloid as famous as it is. Miku will probably be the icon of Vocaloids even though GUMI is very popular.
GUMI will probably be a big Vocaloid in V3, but Miku is at least overwhelmingly the god of Vocaloid 2.

#9 Byakuren*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

I don't doubt it. It's not impossible, but in cases like cons and what not, GUMI still hasn't topped Miku. It will just take time and patience. GUMI and IA are working their way up to becoming pretty 'mainstream' in a vocaloid's case. They just need more albums, songs, merchandise, etc, etc.

GUMI is finally getting a nendoroid so that already opens gateways. It's only a matter of time before fans are cosplaying her just as much as Miku and merchandise of her can be seen in many places.

But I'm also a firm believer in the fact that there can be more than one 'shining star' in this fandom. I truly believe Miku will stay on top, but it's possible for GUMI and others to get up on that throne too and share it with Miku.

#10 User is offline   Harutobi Icon

• (︶︹︺)
  • Icon

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

A lot of people prefer Gumi to Miku, but because of all the merch, advertising, etc, Miku will always be the most popular lol.
tumblr: kuriiyo   ||   youtube: sorastrife92

#11 User is offline   Chibi Icon

• VO's Fantasy RPG Character
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:GaGain

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostZana, on 14 February 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

Agreed. She's become an icon and what I like to think of as a "gateway Vocaloid": most people first learn about Vocaloids through Miku, since she's so prevalent. Her popularity isn't so much about the voice anymore as it is the status she's achieved. The more advanced the technology gets, the better voices we'll have, but I have a feeling Miku will stick around regardless. She's kinda like the Mickey Mouse of Vocaloids.

Yes. Mickey Mouse of Vocaloids. Yes good perfect yes yes.
It's only a matter of time until Miku's popularity wanes. Even if other Vocaloids won't replace her, they can share the spotlight? As in being equally popular?
However you look at it though, Miku will always have her special place because she's the reason Vocaloid became popular. Like Mickey Mouse, everyone knows him but he's usually not their favorite and even though being "outdated", "overused", and stuff like that, he will still be the "face" of Disney, and people will always respect this character for that. Same with Miku.
Posted Image

Posted Image

FANCLUBS
Spoiler

#12 User is offline   Somebodyrandom Icon

• Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:Shu-tP

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

IA seems to be another Lily, so give her 6 months before you make judegments on her.

Gumi is still not the Big "I am" of Vocaloid but even I have to admit that she is stealing a lot of Miku's spotlight. Miku still have the fandom, but Gumi seems to have the interest.
Youtube poster 1; what does the [/] do?

Youtube poster 2; I'm guessing that it breaks the word in half.

#13 User is offline   ant Icon

• Lets bounce
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:Puffihn, ピノキオ-P, Shu-t, sat

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

A lot of people (I would say the majority) first find out about vocaloid though a Miku song, and she's got the most going for her too. Plus with her English voice bank coming soon, I doubt Gumi will overpower her any time soon.

#14 User is offline   asparagus Icon

• Lurker
  • Icon

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

Eh, not sure how I'd feel about Gumi getting bigger. On one hand, I don't mind her voice, but on the other hand, seeing her everywhere would bring back memories of dramaz...

Even if she does, though, I don't think it will be for a looooong time. Miku's getting the English bank too, that'll probably boost her popularity.
♈♉♊♋♌♎♏♐♑♒♓
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Mew Icon

• and so they say baby, for everything a reason
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:shinjouP, seiko

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

no.
Posted Image

• (3 Pages)