VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid: How to Get Vocaloids to Sound Less Copy for Beginners? - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid

Welcome to Vocaloid Otaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and access to other features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, join our Vocaloid community and you will gain access to a plethora of cool stuff, including music downloads and different layouts (which you can select at the bottom of the screen, where it says "Vocaloid Otaku Minimal").

Registration is simple and fast. It won't fetch you more than a minute. What're ya waiting for?
Hop onto Vocaloid Otaku today!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to Get Vocaloids to Sound Less Copy for Beginners?

#1 User is offline   MewMeori Icon

• A pot-luck cupcake. :3
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Edit:I just noticed the title, I am truly sorry about this, it must be the keyboard I'm working with at the moment; I don't usually use it, so I'm probably not used to it. Sorry about that; I am truly, truly sorry.
Ok, so I just want to know if there's a way to get Vocaloid2 voices to sound a bit less choppy when singing.
Here's an example of what I mean by choppy: http://soundcloud.co...-things-i-could
If it's just Luka's english voicebank, that's fine too. Just any kind of tips would be nice, I'm only a beginner at using Vocaloid.

#2 Maple*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Equalize and Compress the vocals. Although, let me say this: Luka is one of the worst vocaloids ever made in terms of quality. Overall, most crypton 'loids have had terribad quality.

#3 User is offline   MewMeori Icon

• Icon

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostMaple, on 19 February 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Equalize and Compress the vocals. Although, let me say this: Luka is one of the worst vocaloids ever made in terms of quality. Overall, most crypton 'loids have had terribad quality.

Ah, ok, thank you very much!
I find it odd how much they're used despite their quality; I myself prefer Yuki a bit more than Luka.

#4 User is offline   AyuRox Icon

• Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

^ Just goes to show that the voice isn't everything.

But yeah, pretty much what Maple said. Luka is a rather poor English VB. The only real redeeming quality about Luka's EN VB is the sound quality itself, which is devoid of strange feedback noises and whatnot.

But playing with the phonemes can help with her choppiness, and equalization and compression will help it sound a lot better.
My YouTube
My SoundCloud
My WIP Thread

Posted Image
Set by PinkShinigami @ Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai

#5 User is offline   MewMeori Icon

• Icon

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostAyuRox, on 19 February 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

^ Just goes to show that the voice isn't everything.

But yeah, pretty much what Maple said. Luka is a rather poor English VB. The only real redeeming quality about Luka's EN VB is the sound quality itself, which is devoid of strange feedback noises and whatnot.

But playing with the phonemes can help with her choppiness, and equalization and compression will help it sound a lot better.

Ok, thank you very much.

#6 User is offline   newtypefag Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Banned

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

What exactly does everyone mean when they say a vocaloid is "low quality"? There are tons of Luka songs that are mixed quite well. And then people say Miku is low quality but you don't often hear westerners that can mix Miku as well as Kz or KagomeP.

#7 User is offline   AyuRox Icon

• Icon

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

^ it doesn't mean that one can't get a high quality result out of a VOCALOID, but it means that its harder to get a high quality result out of a VOCALOID.

There are several different things that can affect a VOCALOID's quality, including sound quality and thoroughness of recordings. SONiKA & Luka both exemplify each of these.

Luka's sound quality is very good, as most Cryptonloids are, but her recordings are extremely lacking. Most of her vowel-vowel combinations don't have transitions, and some of her diphthongs don't even sound like they have actual recordings but rather she's programmed to splice 2 other recordings together. (i.e., instead of having a real [aU], it sounds like she's programmed to splice [V] & [u:] together) Plus some of her recordings are just screwed up on account of her accent. Pretty much anytime she has an l & r in close proximity it sounds weird. For example, her [l @r] doesn't come out as "ler" but rather "rer."

SONiKA on the other hand has every phoneme combination possible recorded and in that sense is the smoothest of any of the Engloids. However her sound quality is definitely subpar. She's muffled and is riddled with feedback. Its hard to come by a recording of hers that doesn't sound like it was recorded in an empty gymnasium or like it was recorded on a construction site. By which I mean she has all kinds of pops and clicks and strange echos. Additionally, her recordings are extremely inconsistent. Her [Q] voel can sound as many different ways as there are consonants. i.e., her [Q] on its own may sound entirely different from her [Q] in [r Q] or in [th Q] or in[j Q], which in turn would each sound different from each other. And then there's her infamous pitch split. Anytying above G#3 and she sounds like she's singing while being smothered with a pillow. Her throat is closed and she sounds extremely strained.

A common factor in all of the Cryptonloids seems to be that they're all, at least in some way, muffled, but muffeled-ness is the easiest fix of sound quality issues. And Miku, Rin & Len's recordings aren't extremely thorough. Like, in just about any Miku song you listen to, you can hear that she doesn't have the transition between [e] & [ i]. And well, Rin & Len have no vowel transitions. not to mention in Rin & Len's case that they have a lot of pronunciation issues and similar to SONiKA, their recordings are inconsistent.

My point being. all of these things can be fixed, but its that much more work you have to do as opposed to what you would have to do with a VOCALOID without these problems; a VOCALOID of higher quality.
My YouTube
My SoundCloud
My WIP Thread

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Stormbringer Icon

• Icon

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostMewMeori, on 19 February 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Edit:I just noticed the title, I am truly sorry about this, it must be the keyboard I'm working with at the moment; I don't usually use it, so I'm probably not used to it. Sorry about that; I am truly, truly sorry.
Ok, so I just want to know if there's a way to get Vocaloid2 voices to sound a bit less choppy when singing.
Here's an example of what I mean by choppy: http://soundcloud.co...-things-i-could
If it's just Luka's english voicebank, that's fine too. Just any kind of tips would be nice, I'm only a beginner at using Vocaloid.
you can edit the thread title. when you have opened the regular editor a button will be at the bottom that says "use full editor" if you click that you can access and change the thread title.

so you can change Copy to choppy if you want.

and to those emphasizing Luka's short comings if the shortcomings are integral to her VB then how can anyone produce anything like her scarborough fair pv, or darkninjavn's my heart will go on or this one:

They couldn't do this if Luka herself were not capable of it no matter how much post processing or vocalshifter help they used. Luka's defects are highly exagerated IMHO.

This post has been edited by Stormbringer: 19 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

oh never mind
For i thought Haiku a haku
bugger it all; Sake!

#9 User is offline   AyuRox Icon

• Icon

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

^ And again, just because a VOCALOID has shortcomings doesn't mean that its impossible to get good results out of them. It just means that you have to work harder to get good results.

Weird, I feel like I just said this. Oh wait, I did. Twice.
My YouTube
My SoundCloud
My WIP Thread

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Valkyrja Icon

• I am the Pumpkin Queen!
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:kaoling, Clean Tears <3

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostMaple, on 19 February 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Lol, you've never used the Kagamine Twins then.

While Luka certainly isn't the highest quality vocaloid, she's far from being the worst. I'd say she's about somewhere just slightly below "middle" level xP
IA - LILY - LUKA
~Vocaloid Trinity~

Posted Image

#11 Maple*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostNekoshey, on 19 February 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

Lol, you've never used the Kagamine Twins then.

While Luka certainly isn't the highest quality vocaloid, she's far from being the worst. I'd say she's about somewhere just slightly below "middle" level xP

I know~ That's why I said "one of."

#12 User is offline   newtypefag Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Banned

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostAyuRox, on 19 February 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

^ it doesn't mean that one can't get a high quality result out of a VOCALOID, but it means that its harder to get a high quality result out of a VOCALOID.
Spoiler

My point being. all of these things can be fixed, but its that much more work you have to do as opposed to what you would have to do with a VOCALOID without these problems; a VOCALOID of higher quality.

Ah ok, I get it. That was a very helpful explanation, thank you!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users