VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid: Why do people like Homestuck so much? - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid

Welcome to Vocaloid Otaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and access to other features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, join our Vocaloid community and you will gain access to a plethora of cool stuff, including music downloads and different layouts (which you can select at the bottom of the screen, where it says "Vocaloid Otaku Minimal").

Registration is simple and fast. It won't fetch you more than a minute. What're ya waiting for?
Hop onto Vocaloid Otaku today!
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why do people like Homestuck so much? An innocent question from yours truly

#1 User is offline   kiki Icon

• LOVE IS HATE
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

I am seriously asking this. Why do the majority of you love Homestuck so much? I can't even get past the first chapter, because, personally, I found it boring, unhumorous, and confusing. I keep stopping around the point where the character talks about his dad's stuff on a shelf. I understand other stuff happens, but if I don't get hooked on something, I don't finish it.

But maybe that's just me and my weirdness.

Could someone answer my question? And if you seriously want me to read it, give me reason to. |D
Posted Image
♡♡♡

#2 User is offline   Moth Icon

• now with 7% more fat
  • Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

Homestuck's first act isn't that interesting, but once you reach act 3, everything becomes really interesting.

It's quite nice and unique, even if the story IS complicated.
Spoiler

#3 User is offline   Carrot Icon

• Super College-level Rabbit
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:cosMo, Pinocchio

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

I finished like one and a half chapters and gave up. .-.
Very bad start.
Posted Image
Rondo~

#4 User is offline   Reisan Icon

• Big Ol' Eyebrows
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:Hachi, Kikuo, ryuryu and more

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

When I first started Homestuck, I got past about ten pages before I stopped.
About a year later I tried again, dragged past the first chapter, discovered it improved, and as Homestuck went on it became steadily more intricate and, as John said, interesting.

And then the trolls were introduced and I was hooked.

I like Homestuck because I think it's a good story.

It involves time-travel, clones, aliens, video games, apocolypses, and is basically a huge genre blend that somehow works.

It has it's "what was the author thinking" moments but overall it's great IMO.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#5 User is offline   Saurus Icon

• An idea is like a virus, resilient, highly contagious.
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:あーるP, Clean Tears, Kagome P

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

I don't agree with the previous posts, as in the fact that I was hooked immediately. I saw the quirky dialogue, the interesting and dynamic way of storytelling and the silly jokes and I loved it immediately. However, when the plot started to thicken I started enjoying it on a whole different level. It wasn't just silly entertainment anymore, it was something I could read and then pick apart and try to predict what would happen next.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   PinKunoichi Icon

• Chōdai
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:Mothy, Kemu, Hitoshizuku, Giga

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

It took me a couple tries to get in it, mainly because I was expecting it to be a game as opposed to a comic. But after getting through the first part, I was hooked because of the complex story.
Posted Image

♊♋♌♍♎♏♐♑♒♓

PinKunoichi claimed Fire◎Flower.

#7 User is offline   Kit Wistful Icon

• Adamant Hipster
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:10daysP, cosMo, PutinP, hachi

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

It starts out slowly, but it gets very complex. It shows even in the art, where it goes from being black and white and isometric to being much more dynamic and colourful.

It has a good sense of humor, I love the video game motifs, and the characters are complex and relateable. I'd recommend it for those reasons, although it will seem to take a while to get into the gear it's in now.
YT Listing and Soundcloud (so that you may assess where I am musically), my vocaloid drawing/redesign thread (So that you can assess where I am, visual-artistically), I'm likely to have not updated either since 12/30/2012 and now you know what to expect from me 8 |

#8 User is offline   nene Icon

• The Granola Bear
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:AVtechNo! : HSP: Dog Tails

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

When i first heard of homestuck and heard it was a web comic, i thought it was like a famous artist on deviantart had an unpublished manga or something. So when i looked it up and saw it...i thought it was a joke. I didn't understand it all and researched it up again because i was expecting some sort of manga type comic.
It general, it's very unappealing to me and i couldn't get past the first chapter. Then some told me i should start from "X chapter"
So i tried, and failed. I have no idea why its so popular. It so difficult for me ._.

It shows even in the art, where it goes from being black and white and isometric to being much more dynamic and colourful.

I wasn't aware of this. But i don't think i could read enough to get to that part.

#9 User is offline   Kit Wistful Icon

• Adamant Hipster
  • Icon

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postnene, on 13 September 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

When i first heard of homestuck and heard it was a web comic, i thought it was like a famous artist on deviantart had an unpublished manga or something. So when i looked it up and saw it...i thought it was a joke. I didn't understand it all and researched it up again because i was expecting some sort of manga type comic.
It general, it's very unappealing to me and i couldn't get past the first chapter. Then some told me i should start from "X chapter"
So i tried, and failed. I have no idea why its so popular. It so difficult for me ._.

Yeah, as slow as everything from the beginning sounds, you kind of need to read that. Don't skip to X chapter guys. It's ridicule-ous. The jokes will not be so funny and you'll have no idea what's going on.
YT Listing and Soundcloud (so that you may assess where I am musically), my vocaloid drawing/redesign thread (So that you can assess where I am, visual-artistically), I'm likely to have not updated either since 12/30/2012 and now you know what to expect from me 8 |

#10 User is offline   Patches Icon

• That nerd in glasses
  • Icon

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

View PostKiyokichan, on 13 September 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

I am seriously asking this. Why do the majority of you love Homestuck so much? I can't even get past the first chapter, because, personally, I found it boring, unhumorous, and confusing. I keep stopping around the point where the character talks about his dad's stuff on a shelf. I understand other stuff happens, but if I don't get hooked on something, I don't finish it.

Well, for me...I was like you. I started to read and was slowly starting to get bored by how it sort of dragged on for a while, to me at least...I'm not sure about any others who like Homestuck.

I wanted to stop reading as soon as I finished the first act because I didn't seem so...into it like others were. I actually wanted to read it because I kept seeing fanart of the Trolls, a lot more than the human kids. I wanted to see what was up with this series, I even thought that it had already ended...boy, was I wrong. :|
Spoiler

♈♉♊♋♌♍♎♏♐♑♒
Patches's Tumblr

#11 User is offline   Laskeri Icon

• Lost along the way
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:EZFG, Caz, Hachi, Tilt-Six

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

Yeah honestly I didn't like it when I tried it the first time around, but seeing it so often, as well as one of my IRL friends liking it, made me curious as to why. It gets better after you get past a certain point. Gawd I sound like a broken record because almost everyone has posted something similar xD.

#12 Iroha*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

I
do
not
know
why

and I never will.

I got past the first chapter. Shit was boring, and I didn't understand it AT ALL.
So I just said "fuck it."
and if there was ever any chance of me trying to re-read it, it's too late because ALL THE HYPE has driven me away from it. Literally everyone reads it, it seems and they just rave about how great it is all day, and stuff like that drives me away from a series fast.

#13 User is offline   Kit Wistful Icon

• Adamant Hipster
  • Icon

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

It irks me when people say that they don't want to read Homestuck because of the fandom. I don't know if they're afraid of becoming a zombie, or what? Because it's not like joining the fandom is step 2 of liking Homestuck. It's totally fine to read something, enjoy it, and stop there.

#14 User is offline   Reisan Icon

• Big Ol' Eyebrows
  • Icon
  • Favorite Producer/s:Hachi, Kikuo, ryuryu and more

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostKit Wistful, on 14 September 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

It irks me when people say that they don't want to read Homestuck because of the fandom. I don't know if they're afraid of becoming a zombie, or what? Because it's not like joining the fandom is step 2 of liking Homestuck. It's totally fine to read something, enjoy it, and stop there.

I know right? I never understood that and think it's a pretty poor reason to shut out any sort of work. It isn't as though anyone who reads a book series or watches a movie is obliged to join or even acknowledge the fandom. Besides every fandom has it's crazies, and if we judged every work by it's terrible section of the fandom then nothing would ever be appreciated.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#15 User is offline   Pomelo Icon

• sekai de ichiban trash-sama ☆
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Favorite Producer/s:wintermute & whoo

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Usually when something gets hype I WANT to see what it's about and why it's getting so much attention. Then I judge for myself whether I like it or not, rather than using other people as a basis of my impression.

Why I like it: Excellent writing & characters & I love Hussie's sense of humour.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users