VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid: How to Make Your UTAU Respected and Well Liked in the UTAU Community - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't fetch you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2017 DevFuse
  • (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to Make Your UTAU Respected and Well Liked in the UTAU Community

#1 User is offline   Gwenhwyfar Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:44 PM

I just thought of making this because I've seen a bit of unoriginality *putters into a hole before she gets bashed* and I thought I'd just do this for fun.

I'll break it into sections.

Common Sense Tips:

- Don't take someone else's UTAU, change their voice a bit, character design, and claim it's yours. (That's stealing because you didn't do the work in recording it).

- Taking someone's voice and just changing the character design is even worse. (Don't do that, please).

- Don't make your character look and sound like Miku or any of the other Vocaloids/UTAUs.

- If you're going to take someone else's UTAU and tweak their voice a bit, it's better to just say it's that UTAU with a voice tweak in your videos. (Meaning: if you take Teto, changed her voice to a lower octave; say that it's just Teto with a lower octave).

- There is a such thing as making a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu UTAU, so don't overdo it on their personality. (I find it better to barely give them any personality, but it's up to you).

- Be humble about your UTAU. Don't gush so much about them and brag 24/7. I think too much pride can turn your UTAU into a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu-like UTAU.

- You are allowed to feel proud in your accomplishment of finishing your UTAU or having them sing a complete song from scratch. Just be careful how much you rub it in.

- I really do think the creator's behavior reflects on the UTAU, particularly because the creator's behavior is usually tied with the promotion of said UTAU. So it really helps if you're civil and at least... try to be genuinely nice every now and then. xD; (by Taiwonton)

Tips for Voice:

- Try to make your UTAU's voice understandable and clear. (We love well recorded UTAUs).

- Have your UTAU well tuned. (When you record, you want to record at the same key).

- Have some experience in reading music sheets and have an ear for music. (This can help a lot with having your UTAU sound in tune).

Tips for Character/Art:

- Err, if you're going to give your UTAU a personality, please don't have them in any official romantic relationships with UTAUs from creators you don't know or Vocaloids.

- You can have your UTAU crushing on a Vocaloid/UTAU if you want, but that can be iffy. Unrequited love is more respected it seems, especially when it's comedic.

- Again, don't put too much emphasis on your UTAU's personality because the general audience don't seem to care about that (it's about the music). Putting emphasis on your UTAU's personality is another thing that can make them seem Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu. (I think this and pride are the main offenders). I guess the better word is to call it unprofessional looking than Mary-Sue. Another reason not to put so much emphasis on the personality is because it's the audience that generally interpret the personality, they can completely throw your personality interpretation out the window.

- To be more elaborate on not copying the character design of Miku, try not to copy from Miku's outfit or any Vocaloid/UTAU's outfit. If you notice the outfits of the official Vocaloids (not fanmade), you'll see that their clothing style is actually quite different from each other. There isn't so much similarity between them. (Luka and the twins share similar sleeves with Miku, but other than that, they're quite unique). (Try to pull away from even copying off of Miku's sleeves, but that's my opinion).

- A badly drawn UTAU can look unprofessional or a turn off. It can also be kind of embarrassing. If you can't draw, find someone else to draw for you. If you insist on doing it yourself, you can find an anime base doll, but make sure to give the creator credit and only if they allow you to use it. Drawing on an anime base doll still requires some skill.

- You don't need character art for your UTAU if you want. More power to you because people will just respect the voice more! (But character art is good for drawing in people)..

- Creative character designs/quirks and promoting from more well-known users also help a lot. Inuhebi, Kanran and Supune Niku would peobably not be as popular if they didn't have such interesting designs and quirks. An odd character item might also help a lot XD (By Aline)

- It's alright if you create a character item for your UTAU, but maybe you might not want to give your UTAU a character item. Character items don't seem to catch on well for UTAUs that aren't well known. The trend seems to be dying out a bit in my opinion. Instead of giving your UTAU an item, maybe you want your UTAU community to give them an item when they become a bit well known. I think it would be a bit fun for you and your community. (Just anticipate if your UTAU gets an item you don't like). You can also just give your UTAU an item when it's well known...

- I've seen a lot of people name their UTAUs Japanese names. It's kind of sad when most of the creators don't really know Japanese. Japanese names are okay, but you don't have to name them Japanese! I would really like to see more names that are Russian, Greek, or something else! xD

- It's fine to give your UTAU a Japanese name, but it makes less sense if they don't actually have a Japanese voice bank, it'd be better to give them a name within the language they sing in. Though, that can be debatable.. For example, if the UTAU has a set nationality...

- UTAUs with cat ears or any animal ears are a bit of a turn off. You might not want to design your UTAU as a neko or an inu (dog) because it's waaaay overdone. (suggestion made by Menne. Worded differently by me). I'm going to update on this tip made by Menne that animal ears on UTAUs can be done. However, you might want to avoid doing neko or inu (dog) because those are quite overdone. Your UTAU won't be unique for it, but you can still do it if you want. You'll have to use something else if you want something eye-catching in your UTAU's character design (this is applied to neko or inu UTAUs only).

- Canon "relationships" are fine if: A. Both creators are okay with it. (OK: I want to pair my UTAUloid with random UTAUloid X. I talk to random UTAUloid X's creator and ask them if it would be okay that these two are paired up. If they say yes, I go ahead with it. If they say no, I don't. NOT OK: "LOLOLOL MY UTAULOID IS THE GIRLFRIEND/BOYFRIEND OF THIS OTHER UTAULOID WHO BELONGS TO SOMEONE I'VE NEVER MET LOLOLOL.") B. (This holds true for crushes/unrequited love as well) You don't totally flip and start bitching if they're paired with someone else for a song. (NOT OK: "NO. MY UTAULOID ONLY LURVES THIS UTAULOID SO THEY CANNOT SING ROMANTIC DUETS WITH ANYONE EVER OR I POKE YOUR EYES OUT. >8( ) (By Yume Baraute)

- To add further on Yume's suggestion, that only applies to UTAU. xD Don't email Crypton or any other Vocaloid company if they're okay with making your UTAU in a canon relationship with their Vocaloid. You might also want to avoid having your UTAU go into canon relationships with famous UTAUs, like Teto, because that can tick people off.

Misc. Tips:

- Experiment with your UTAU, don't restrict yourself to just using pre-made songs. (Do interesting things with your UTAU). You might find something new and interesting that could catch on.

- Have your UTAU sing songs that have never been sung before by UTAUs. This is what really draws audience in. We want to be entertained! Don't show us something we've seen something so many times.

- You can get your UTAU to be a bit well-known, but don't expect it to become popular.

- do duets and stuff with other utaus. Double the views, and double the benefits since both UTAUs will be getting attention. But tell the creator if you're planning to put their UTAU in a song with yours ^^; (by Melody)

- Having a loose set of rules also helps a lot. There's no sense in someone who makes 9001 rules for their UTAUloid and complains that they aren't used. (by Aline)

- Create a UTAU to entertain yourself and others.

- Don't take all of my tips seriously.

- Above all, have fun with your UTAU. xD

xP LOL, feel free to add more tips...
グウェンハイバー (gu wen hai baa) or グウェンハイヴァー (gu wen hai vaa) are how my username is spelled in katakana. I prefer グウェンハイヴァー because I just like it as close to the original name as possible.

My UTAU, Valkyrie.
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   astroninja Icon

• VO's First Ocarinist
  • Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members
  • Producers:Tripshots

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

i like this. these actually sound like some pretty good tips. that reminds me, i should finish my UST for VOICES from macross plus. ive left it at a short version forever becuase im not sure how i should go about doing the english portion. at very least i should get someone to help me make a video with it. i only made it as far as converting it to WAV
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Melody Icon

• City nights, colors of indigo.
  • Icon
  • Producers:Menday-P

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

Also, be creative on the personality thing. 'Shy, nice' isn't very original, but 'turns into a unicorn when she eats carrots' is 8D

Plus, do duets and stuff with other utaus. Double the views, and double the benefits since both UTAUs will be getting attention. But tell the creator if you're planning to put their UTAU in a song with yours ^^;
The end is the beginning...

Posted Image

...but all that begins must end.

#4 User is offline   Jadii Icon

• QT3.14☆SUPERSTAR
  • Icon
  • Producers:kagome-p

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

Great tips and advice ^^ Personally I don't really like the whole utauXvocaloid thing unless it's a joke (like Tei Sukone) because more than not I find that utau users find it more fun when the love interest of your utau is also another utau in the community ^^
I really don't like giving much of a personality to utau either. Sure, they can have likes and dislikes, that's fine, but giving them a huge omg important back story kinda deteers me.

Also, I do agree about the lack of design thing, but isn't there a rule on the utau wiki that requires art? I know that Ensei Ayame wasn't allowed to be up because one of the mods deemed that "the art wasn't good enough", which is completely ridiculous becau NAL has no art. either way IDK. :o
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Thane Icon

• See what I did there?
  • Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:16 PM

I was hoping for a joke thread. Like:

Make your Utau a Cat Person.
Make them Under aged.
Make them have unique yet common backstory.

Etc...

Anyway, Good tips.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jadii Icon

• QT3.14☆SUPERSTAR
  • Icon

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

@ Efun

XD lmao. gwah animal utau are so overdone... LMAO backstory.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Gwenhwyfar Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:10 AM

D8 Well, the art of the UTAU isn't as important as the voice. I've seen UTAUs with totally awesome art, but they've been a major turn off to people because they sound like they're gurgling. If the wiki people are having problems with that, they need to get over it.

8D I'll be adding some of the tips you guys suggested.

Oh, here's another one I forgot to add.

- You can give your UTAU an item, but that doesn't seem to catch on very well for UTAUs that aren't well known. I don't know, but to me, the item thing seems to be kind of dying out. Instead of giving your UTAU an item, only when your UTAU becomes a bit well known, why not letting your UTAU community to decide on the official item for your UTAU. It could be quite fun! (Just anticipate if your UTAU gets an item you don't like *shot*)

xD And I also thought of this:

- Don't make a UTAU who has a personality that has some kind of campaign as it might offend some audience and drive them away. It can also kind of come off as Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu. It's alright if it's something nobody really cares about and is meant to be comedic.
グウェンハイバー (gu wen hai baa) or グウェンハイヴァー (gu wen hai vaa) are how my username is spelled in katakana. I prefer グウェンハイヴァー because I just like it as close to the original name as possible.

My UTAU, Valkyrie.
Spoiler

#8 User is offline   Aline Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:19 AM

View PostGwenefar, on 28 June 2010 - 09:10 PM, said:

- Don't make a UTAU who has a personality that has some kind of campaign as it might offend some audience and drive them away. It can also kind of come off as Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu. It's alright if it's something nobody really cares about and is meant to be comedic.

SukoTeiwe'relookingatya

Creative character designs/quirks and promoting from more well-known users also help a lot. Inuhebi, Kanran and Supune Niku would peobably not be as popular if they didn't have such interesting designs and quirks. An odd character item might also help a lot XD

#9 User is offline   Gwenhwyfar Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:35 AM

xD Hmm, I wondered if I worded that last advice I made clearly enough.

What I meant by my last post:

- Don't make an UTAU who has a personality that campaigns for stuff like "Eating meat is wrong," "Don't neuter your dog," or even touchier subjects like religion and such. UTAUs are suppose to be for entertainment and relaxing, not for solving problems in the world. xD But if you want to do that kind of stuff, I'm definitely not partaking in it.

My UTAU, Valkyrie.
Spoiler

#10 User is offline   Aline Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:45 AM

View PostGwenefar, on 29 June 2010 - 12:35 AM, said:

xD Hmm, I wondered if I worded that last advice I made clearly enough.

What I meant by my last post:

- Don't make an UTAU who has a personality that campaigns for stuff like "Eating meat is wrong," "Don't neuter your dog," or even touchier subjects like religion and such. UTAUs are suppose to be for entertainment and relaxing, not for solving problems in the world. xD But if you want to do that kind of stuff, I'm definitely not partaking in it.

Ah, these can't even be made; it's against Ameya's rules to involve political/religious propaganda in UTAU XD Actually, the only allowed religious stuff are classic carols and songs, and the only political stuff are hymns (and either way, it depends on the country; it's /technically/ illegal to use voice synthetizers to sing Brazil's national hymn, for example).

#11 User is offline   chantell Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:09 AM

Oh wow well i was wondering could you tell me if this would make ppl hate my utau

ok so Midori is kinda a super fan of Luka Megurine becuase i really like Luka so i made it so that she likes to joke about being gay for Luka sometimes

so yeah would ppl not like that i made her like that
o3o

#12 User is offline   Gwenhwyfar Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:24 AM

Hmm, that's debatable. I can see some people being annoyed by that and others who won't really care. Well, that could be at risk of going under the "OMG, kawaii desu!" thing..

Just as long as you don't emphasize on this, I think it'll be okay. Generally, I think you should allow people to interpret your UTAU however they want, but it's up to you.

I like to think my UTAU likes Leon (a bit creepily at times), but I don't think I'll really show that in my videos. >3>; (LOL, and I just decided to make her like Leon while I actually prefer Kaito more). xD

My UTAU, Valkyrie.
Spoiler

#13 User is offline   chantell Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:02 AM

yeah i dont really ever use it for anything but for the short comics that i made haha and i dont really care if other ppl make her like luka or not i just like doing it for personal things XD and thanks for letting me know :D
o3o

#14 User is offline   Jadii Icon

• QT3.14☆SUPERSTAR
  • Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

@ chantell

I don't think people would really mind that XD Considering you never make it so that Luka reciprecates anything to Midori, it kind of seems like Midori is just a Luka Fangirl XD And you're not actually making them have a relationship or anything, it's just a little something to add to the character, so I know it doesn't bother me at all (and especially because I don't really like utau with much personality, but Midori I just <3 x3 Because she doesn't have a super long detailed personality, just a few little likes and dislikes ^^ )
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   MienaiTsubasa Icon

• Icon

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

View PostEfun, on 28 June 2010 - 11:16 PM, said:

I was hoping for a joke thread. Like:

Make your Utau a Cat Person.
Make them Under aged.
Make them have unique yet common backstory.

Etc...

This, lol.

Some of the points are pretty good, however I find I'm disagreeing with a lot of the points regarding personality and design/art. Since some of those things, you might be able to pull off well with your UTAU and they wouldn't really stop your UTAU being respected or well liked by other UTAU users. And I don't really believe in trying to tell other people what they should do with their UTAU, but that's just my view~

But I agree with them to the point where if there was an UTAU who did EVERYTHING on that list, it would be like the most hated thing ever.

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users