I'll break it into sections.
Common Sense Tips:
- Don't take someone else's UTAU, change their voice a bit, character design, and claim it's yours. (That's stealing because you didn't do the work in recording it).
- Taking someone's voice and just changing the character design is even worse. (Don't do that, please).
- Don't make your character look and sound like Miku or any of the other Vocaloids/UTAUs.
- If you're going to take someone else's UTAU and tweak their voice a bit, it's better to just say it's that UTAU with a voice tweak in your videos. (Meaning: if you take Teto, changed her voice to a lower octave; say that it's just Teto with a lower octave).
- There is a such thing as making a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu UTAU, so don't overdo it on their personality. (I find it better to barely give them any personality, but it's up to you).
- Be humble about your UTAU. Don't gush so much about them and brag 24/7. I think too much pride can turn your UTAU into a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu-like UTAU.
- You are allowed to feel proud in your accomplishment of finishing your UTAU or having them sing a complete song from scratch. Just be careful how much you rub it in.
- I really do think the creator's behavior reflects on the UTAU, particularly because the creator's behavior is usually tied with the promotion of said UTAU. So it really helps if you're civil and at least... try to be genuinely nice every now and then. xD; (by Taiwonton)
Tips for Voice:
- Try to make your UTAU's voice understandable and clear. (We love well recorded UTAUs).
- Have your UTAU well tuned. (When you record, you want to record at the same key).
- Have some experience in reading music sheets and have an ear for music. (This can help a lot with having your UTAU sound in tune).
Tips for Character/Art:
- Err, if you're going to give your UTAU a personality, please don't have them in any official romantic relationships with UTAUs from creators you don't know or Vocaloids.
- You can have your UTAU crushing on a Vocaloid/UTAU if you want, but that can be iffy. Unrequited love is more respected it seems, especially when it's comedic.
- Again, don't put too much emphasis on your UTAU's personality because the general audience don't seem to care about that (it's about the music). Putting emphasis on your UTAU's personality is another thing that can make them seem Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu. (I think this and pride are the main offenders). I guess the better word is to call it unprofessional looking than Mary-Sue. Another reason not to put so much emphasis on the personality is because it's the audience that generally interpret the personality, they can completely throw your personality interpretation out the window.
- To be more elaborate on not copying the character design of Miku, try not to copy from Miku's outfit or any Vocaloid/UTAU's outfit. If you notice the outfits of the official Vocaloids (not fanmade), you'll see that their clothing style is actually quite different from each other. There isn't so much similarity between them. (Luka and the twins share similar sleeves with Miku, but other than that, they're quite unique). (Try to pull away from even copying off of Miku's sleeves, but that's my opinion).
- A badly drawn UTAU can look unprofessional or a turn off. It can also be kind of embarrassing. If you can't draw, find someone else to draw for you. If you insist on doing it yourself, you can find an anime base doll, but make sure to give the creator credit and only if they allow you to use it. Drawing on an anime base doll still requires some skill.
- You don't need character art for your UTAU if you want. More power to you because people will just respect the voice more! (But character art is good for drawing in people)..
- Creative character designs/quirks and promoting from more well-known users also help a lot. Inuhebi, Kanran and Supune Niku would peobably not be as popular if they didn't have such interesting designs and quirks. An odd character item might also help a lot XD (By Aline)
- It's alright if you create a character item for your UTAU, but maybe you might not want to give your UTAU a character item. Character items don't seem to catch on well for UTAUs that aren't well known. The trend seems to be dying out a bit in my opinion. Instead of giving your UTAU an item, maybe you want your UTAU community to give them an item when they become a bit well known. I think it would be a bit fun for you and your community. (Just anticipate if your UTAU gets an item you don't like). You can also just give your UTAU an item when it's well known...
- I've seen a lot of people name their UTAUs Japanese names. It's kind of sad when most of the creators don't really know Japanese. Japanese names are okay, but you don't have to name them Japanese! I would really like to see more names that are Russian, Greek, or something else! xD
- It's fine to give your UTAU a Japanese name, but it makes less sense if they don't actually have a Japanese voice bank, it'd be better to give them a name within the language they sing in. Though, that can be debatable.. For example, if the UTAU has a set nationality...
- Canon "relationships" are fine if: A. Both creators are okay with it. (OK: I want to pair my UTAUloid with random UTAUloid X. I talk to random UTAUloid X's creator and ask them if it would be okay that these two are paired up. If they say yes, I go ahead with it. If they say no, I don't. NOT OK: "LOLOLOL MY UTAULOID IS THE GIRLFRIEND/BOYFRIEND OF THIS OTHER UTAULOID WHO BELONGS TO SOMEONE I'VE NEVER MET LOLOLOL.") B. (This holds true for crushes/unrequited love as well) You don't totally flip and start bitching if they're paired with someone else for a song. (NOT OK: "NO. MY UTAULOID ONLY LURVES THIS UTAULOID SO THEY CANNOT SING ROMANTIC DUETS WITH ANYONE EVER OR I POKE YOUR EYES OUT. >8( ) (By Yume Baraute)
- To add further on Yume's suggestion, that only applies to UTAU. xD Don't email Crypton or any other Vocaloid company if they're okay with making your UTAU in a canon relationship with their Vocaloid. You might also want to avoid having your UTAU go into canon relationships with famous UTAUs, like Teto, because that can tick people off.
- Experiment with your UTAU, don't restrict yourself to just using pre-made songs. (Do interesting things with your UTAU). You might find something new and interesting that could catch on.
- Have your UTAU sing songs that have never been sung before by UTAUs. This is what really draws audience in. We want to be entertained! Don't show us something we've seen something so many times.
- You can get your UTAU to be a bit well-known, but don't expect it to become popular.
- do duets and stuff with other utaus. Double the views, and double the benefits since both UTAUs will be getting attention. But tell the creator if you're planning to put their UTAU in a song with yours ^^; (by Melody)
- Having a loose set of rules also helps a lot. There's no sense in someone who makes 9001 rules for their UTAUloid and complains that they aren't used. (by Aline)
- Create a UTAU to entertain yourself and others.
- Don't take all of my tips seriously.
- Above all, have fun with your UTAU. xD
xP LOL, feel free to add more tips...