VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid: Avanna's Official Artwork Release - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't fetch you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2017 DevFuse
  • (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Avanna's Official Artwork Release

#1 User is offline   AkiGlancy Icon

• EmpathP
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Avanna Cover art

Posted Image

Avanna Full Body art

Posted Image

Avanna Chibi

Posted Image

Avanna Front and Back ref

Posted Image

Avanna Draft sheet 1

Posted Image

Avanna Draft sheet 2

Posted Image

Avanna Box Art Mock Up

Posted Image

Artist Comments (Please read):

Well everyone, the time has come and after months of work I can finally reveal to you all Avanna’s official artwork. For those of you who watch me on twitter and such you may remember how back in August I kept mentioning working on a very important commission. This was it.

To go into specifics, back in April, I had sent Zero-G a resume and portfolio with examples of my music and a few pieces of artwork. My hope was, not actually to do any artwork for them, but to possibly help them with demos in the future for either Vocaloid or their other forms music producing software. Shortly after sending my portfolio Dom Keeffe replied, thanking me for my email and saying Zero-G would keep me in mind. At the time, I didn’t actually think much of the reply. I figured it was the standard reply they give to anyone interested in doing commissioned work for them. So, in fact, I actually forgot I had sent the email for several months.

It wasn’t until August 13th that I received another email from Dom. I was literally shocked when he asked me if I would be interested in creating the official design for Avanna. I was surprised mostly due to the fact that I was under the impression that Avanna’s artwork was already completed. I was very honored and humbled that Dom and his team thought I was good enough for the job.

So, for the rest of August and into the beginning of September I worked basically around the clock to create Avanna’s image (whenever I wasn’t at my day job of course). The art I’ve posted here isn’t even half of all the designs and sketches I made. Eventually after the first 2 weeks Dom selected the rough version of the design you see before you, as well as select from the color schemes I had provided. The rest of my work was spent simply creating a character image that would really represent Avanna as a celtic pop singer. I must have done 6 or 7 pose sketches along the way. I was even starting to get nervous that I wouldn’t be able to create an adequate pose that would please them.

However, it was at this time that I sent them a sketch of what is now Avanna’s “Full Body” art. Dom instantly told me he loved it and I spent the next 2 or 3 days lining and coloring the work. When it was finished I was truly pleased, as was Dom.

Then, for about a month I only heard from Dom on and off, as they were very busy finishing the programming for Avanna’s voice. When I did hear from him again it was toward the end of October. Zero-G had sent the image of Avanna to Yamaha for approval and had received a request for an altered piece of artwork. Yamaha was concerned that Zero-G’s approved design was not “Anime” styled enough and asked for me to revise it into a cuter, modern anime style. (It is in my personal opinion that Yamaha made this quest due to the shocking response from the fandom with Voctro Lab’s Clara and Bruno original artwork. The response was so negative that I believe Yamaha wished to avoid such happenings again by immediately making sure the artwork would appeal to the anime-styled loving demographic. I do not believe this was just for their sake, though. I believe they generally do not wish for any other companies to have problems in the marketing of their Vocaloids. This is, of course, just a personal opinion.)

I immediately tried to alter the original full-bodied image to better suit Yamaha. But, the proportions and style they wanted conflicted with the original proportions I had created. So, Dom and I made the difficult decision to start from scratch. Due to time constraints, we decided that we were going to narrow down Avanna’s new cover art to a simple thigh-up shot, or bust image. I started sketching and soon came up with the image you now see before you. A few days later and the picture was lined, colored, and sent off to Zero-G.

And that Ladies and Gentlemen is how it all happened. It was a unique experience, and there were times I was very nervous and frustrated that I wouldn’t be able to please Zero-G or Yamaha. But in the end, I’m proud of the work I did and I’m absolutely thrilled that I was given this opportunity. I illustrated her to the best of my abilities, and learned a good thing or two about myself in the process. I know some of you will love her design, and others of you will hate it. But I hope you can all appreciate the effort I put into this. This was a paying job, and I took it very seriously.

I want to thank Dom Keeffe for being so incredibly patient and kind to me as I worked. He was more than generous and I couldn’t have asked for a better employer. I certainly hope we will work together again. I want to thank Myst, Koda, Hentai, Aster, and Reni for being my creative consultants as I worked. I couldn’t have finished without them cheering me on. And I want to thank you all for your continued support of both me and my music. I cannot begin to express what it means to me.

Avanna Design Specs:

Hair: Black
Eyes: Blue
Color Scheme: Green, Gold, and Blue
Ethnicity: Irish
Artist’s assumed height: 5’6”
Artist’s assumed weight: 156 lbs

(Keep in mind the height and weight were created just for my own personal reference and are not 'official'. I used my younger sister's body dimensions when coming up with how I wanted her to look (also they pertain to the original full-bodied artwork and not the anime-styled version). Basically, she's supposed to be NATURALLY proportioned. She has hips and boobs, just like any other jovial Irish maid <3 )

Avanna Design Trivia:

1.) In the Original full bodied design approved by Zero-G, Avanna was actually an elf and sported a pair of short pointed ears. These were later discarded from the Yamaha re-edit.
2.) While many assumed that Avanna would be a red head, Zero-G specifically asked for her to have black hair at the beginning of the designing process. While creating color schemes, other hair colors were given as examples, but inevitably it was decided black hair was best for the character.
3.) Avanna’s outfit was inspired by Roman-Britannia. Specifically, it was inspired by the Roman influence the Celts received during the first century of Britannia’s occupation by the Roman Empire.
4.) The little flower shapes worked into Avanna’s outfit are clovers, hinting at her Irish heritage.
5.) The rings around Avanna’s waist can float or spin with the power of her voice when she sings, but they will lay stationary when she is not singing.
6.) The gems on Avanna’s skirt and rings were inspired by blue topaz gemstones.
My Precious Celtic Queen
Posted Image
Time for some DDR
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 User is offline   Azureflux Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • Producers:Vocallective's

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Is this feeling... love?

Anyways, I believe the original version was fine too, I like how both turned out. I prefer the long hair of the latter iterations but the general look of the first was appealing as well. It has more in the way of anime than Bruno and Clara's original style, so it might have been well accepted too.
Regardless, the whole mess with Bruno and Clara is truly a shame. I hope the stigma disappears in due time.

#3 User is offline   Random2 Icon

• I got a tiger for a boyfriend and I don't give a fuck.
  • Icon
  • Producers:AVTechNO!, many more

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Wow! Not what I was expecting, but it is still a quality image.

Good job!
"Our goal each year should be to increase the number of goals we set for ourselves!"

#4 User is offline   Cluemily Icon

• Protector of Puns
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Producers:mayuko

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

What is this? Freckles? A nice choice of colours and decent poses? And I love the tree as a microphone stand.
I'm not too fond of some of your art, Aki, but I like the look of it here. You worked well on it, and the final product is lovely (though that short hair design, mm-mmm~)

owned vocaloids: Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
youtube: cluemily // twitter: cluemily // soundcloud: cluemily
skype: icelilac1 || line: cluemily || discord: cluemily#4865
*I must know who you are before accepting.

#5 User is offline   Azureflux Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • Producers:Vocallective's

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Just wanna add, the tree microphone stand is an awesome idea. Good show Aki.

#6 User is offline   D!zzyZebra Icon

• [dZ]
  • Icon
  • Producers:Hachi, Team Kamiuta, Ryuryu

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Nice, definitely works. Not as stereotypically anime as some people thought, so it doesn't look like it's jumping on any bandwagon. :D I worried about the shading, but i'd imagine it really suiting it's purpose.

Personal thoughts: The dress design isn't my favourite, but I really like the hair colour. Colour scheme-wise, I wouldn't have guessed it from hearing them – medium and green and orange = blarg for me – but I quite like it. Hit my expectations quite closely, but slightly above what I hoped for, so that is great. :)

I genuinely must fanart now. :D
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

三月は夜の底 古川本舗

#7 Byakuren*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Posted Image

SHE IS
ABSOLUTELY
PERFECT
I LOVE HER
HER VOICE
HER DESIGN
SHE IS OMG
I just
Wow best english vocaloid, new waifu, going to use art as avatar, going to draw her so much. I love everything about her.

#8 User is offline   Kikurihime Icon

• A Shadow of Your True Self
  • Icon
  • Producers:Hachi, 8#Prince, EasyPop

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

She is so cute. I actually do like her with short hair too and the rings are a nice touch. I don't really like green but I could do this color scheme. So far she is my second favorite V3 after IA.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Kikurihime claimed Blood n' Cherry
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Random2 Icon

• I got a tiger for a boyfriend and I don't give a fuck.
  • Icon
  • Producers:AVTechNO!, many more

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostDizzyZebra, on 08 November 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Nice, definitely works. Not as stereotypically anime as some people thought, so it doesn't look like it's jumping on any bandwagon. :D

Agreed, it definitely gives of a 'western animation' feel, and I personally think it's a nice compromise between an 'anime' and 'realistic' feel.

I also favor the tree/stand and freckles, it looks pretty boss. Now, here's to hoping she gets some good marketing to boot... :D
"Our goal each year should be to increase the number of goals we set for ourselves!"

#10 User is offline   Vivi Icon

• Icon
  • Producers:Yuyoyuppe, Konki-P, Owata-P

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

SHE IS PERFECT!!!!
I can't refuse her design, nor her voice. ZeroG, you got me this time.
*running off to prepare vsqs for her*
He exists, as real as you.

Posted Image

Nico Mylist(posts vocaloid covers, singings and other stuff)
Youtube Channel
Twitter: [twitter]vivi_fank[/twitter] (tweets in Chinese, Japanese(grammarless) and English)

#11 User is offline   P-chan Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

omg this is exactly what i imagined! some kind of fantasy look!
totally love it!

now someone go and make icon for her *shot* xD
All Vocaloids pic!
Love ALL official Vocaloids!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Vocaloid Diva of each Language
Spoiler

you know you want to see it
Spoiler

#12 User is offline   @peiron Icon

• The day, too far
  • Icon

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I disliked it at first but then I saw the box...
I'm warming up to her good job Aki =D

#13 Ant*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

OH! Could Avanna get any better? There is no way! It's so perfect, you did an amazing job!

I'm off to draw some fanart!

Edit: she reminds me of Sayaka miki a little. Also, confirmed getting the boxed version, yeehaw.

#14 User is offline   Mr. Oshawott Icon

• [m' i s][t e 4] [o][S a][w o t][t]
  • Icon

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

OH YES!! Avanna's boxart looks totally EPIC! I can see a huge crowd taking interest in her now!
Crypton Future Media
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Internet Co.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

AH Software
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Bplats
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Voctro Labs
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Other
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Spoiler

Sprites by Chikadee

#15 User is offline   Nova Icon

• Dreamin' of a White Christmas
  • Icon
  • Producers:SWANTONE, LIQ

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

As I've said already, she looks like an Atelier character and I love that series, so this only helps me further my liking of Avanna's design even more
Posted Image

Posted Image
^Come check out Modern Fantasia
Posted Image

Come play!
http://www.vocaloido...fantasia-quest/ [Completed]
http://www.vocaloido...-to-the-future/

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic