VocaloidOtaku.net Forums: Utattemita Critique - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums

Jump to content

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't take you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2018 DevFuse
  • (7 Pages) +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Utattemita Critique GET YOUR VOICES CRITIQUED.

#1 User is offline   ЯΔïNY# Icon

  • YamaHiro ApologisT
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,347
  • Joined: 24-February 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:(☞ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☞

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

VO, I heard 'em.

View PostPaprika, on 09 May 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Where is the serious singing thread?


And here we are. The place for *SERIOUS* critique.
Although this thread is in Vocaloid longue, I'm making an exception to enable non-Vocaloid/UTAU songs to be posted here.

SONGS COVERED:
Spoiler


Mind you, this thread is for serious critiques. Some heart breaks may occur. If you cannot tolerate this, please go to the Karaoke Thread instead.

Critics please mind that you are ONLY to critique on their voices, NOT SONG CHOICE. You may suggest a better genre for the person tho. And do note that don't go too far sometimes. Harsh things are not the best things in the world.

'Nuff said, let the singing begin!


EDIT: RULES. I forgot them.
Spoiler

Credits to sleepysheep7 cause I literally copied his rules over here
0


#2 User is offline   Aki no Tanuki Icon

  • Cereal killer
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: 15-January 14
  • Gender:Unknown

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Whoaaah, thank you for creating the thread!
That said, I guess I'll post my covers first here and try to repair my broken heart in the karaoke thread. Hehehe.
Anyway, it was more than time! Let's sing! (Unless I'm too lazy or procrastinate too much.)
0


#3 User is offline   TBK Icon

  • Let me sing you the song of my people *w*
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 180
  • Joined: 27-March 11
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:FRANCE

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

THANKS. It's hard these days to find true critics ;w; If possible, I would like to have feedbacks on "Hirari, Hirari".

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vSRQfJ5nKcc

Thank you very much !
0


#4 User is offline   Ei-chan Icon

  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 31-October 14
  • Gender:Female

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:38 AM

TheBakaKitsune,

I'm sure you've heard this, but you sound absolutely breathtaking in that cover <3
So I go to look at your youtube videos, but...
I was met with a severe lack of cover-age!
$@Dface ),:
0


#5 User is offline   KAiARI Icon

  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 23-September 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Vocaloids:IA
  • Producers:Akuno-P

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

Yay! Please have a listen to this...it's not Vocaloid I'm sorry :(

https://www.youtube....h?v=nNtFs-G-uTI
0


#6 User is offline   Azalea Icon

  • ワガママな儘で~
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 53
  • Joined: 26-October 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Producers:Mikito-P, Hachi, Jin, Tiara

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostKAiARI, on 01 November 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

Yay! Please have a listen to this...it's not Vocaloid I'm sorry :(

https://www.youtube....h?v=nNtFs-G-uTI


Your voice is very pretty and you were on tune, however there were a few things I noticed that you could improve.

You seem to be overly breathy, and it leaves little room for resonance. It's good to take full breaths before each phrase and use the air in such a way that the notes carry. If you use too much breath, you'll run out and the phrases will sound choppy because you have to keep taking short, shallow breaths. Even if you don't feel like there's enough time to take full breaths during the song, practice it slowly without the music and work on speeding it up.

Also, sometimes you over-emphasize consonants like at 0:38 "nagareta"; the "ta" seems a bit too forceful.

The choppy section right after that could sound better if you made it a bit more legato. Even though it's choppy by nature, you don't have to emphasize each note the way you do. Try making that section flow a bit more smoothly, but still retain the original rhythm.

Anyway, I hope this helps! There are a lot of good things about your singing and I hope you continue to make covers!
0


#7 User is offline   Minato Icon

  • Eh?
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,410
  • Joined: 23-June 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Producers:40mP, DECO*27, ChipotleP

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

I'll go ahead and post one since I REALLY want to get better at singing :c I was thinking about singing lessons, but I'm not so sure yet as I've never done that before.
Here's one thing that I already know is a problem: My voice is too soft;; My friends told me to sing from my chest more, but I have no idea how to do that.
In this cover, I tried singing with a bit more of a stronger voice, but I don't know how it turned out.

https://www.youtube....h?v=m9H43_s8zdY

Sorry, this isn't a Vocaloid song either!
0


#8 User is offline   kevinlyspirit Icon

  • cookies!
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 458
  • Joined: 21-September 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostMinato, on 03 November 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

My voice is too soft;; My friends told me to sing from my chest more, but I have no idea how to do that.

Your voice is still fairly soft in this cover, but not too bad. The reverb kind of makes it sound even softer than it probably is. Your intonation is pretty good. It can be a little shaky at times, which contributes to that softer sound, so I'd say your first thing to work on is being consistent. Something fun you could try is holding a single note for a long time and play around with changing your breathiness, but at the same time trying to keep the volume of the note the same. You could also decrease volume while increasing breathiness and vice versa. It's good for developing breath control and expanding your tonal palette.

It can also help to do a lot of technique exercises like singing scales and arpeggios, focusing on nailing all the notes and reducing the amount of time you're sliding to the next one. Also try to avoid vibrato as much as possible when you're doing the exercises, since you're working on improving solidarity.

With that singing from the chest thing, you could try out tensing your core muscles, but only a do it a tiny bit. Make sure you still feel pretty relaxed (staying relaxed is super important in singing and cannot be overstated.) and that very slight tension hopefully should help you support your vocals.

Singing lessons can be useful for sure so they're probably worth trying out at some point if it's something you want to pursue. In the mean time it's worth looking up info on proper posture and breathing technique, as that's something a singing teacher would get you to correct/improve early on.
0


#9 User is offline   KAiARI Icon

  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 23-September 14
  • Gender:Female
  • Vocaloids:IA
  • Producers:Akuno-P

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostAzalea, on 01 November 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Your voice is very pretty and you were on tune, however there were a few things I noticed that you could improve.

You seem to be overly breathy, and it leaves little room for resonance. It's good to take full breaths before each phrase and use the air in such a way that the notes carry. If you use too much breath, you'll run out and the phrases will sound choppy because you have to keep taking short, shallow breaths. Even if you don't feel like there's enough time to take full breaths during the song, practice it slowly without the music and work on speeding it up.

Also, sometimes you over-emphasize consonants like at 0:38 "nagareta"; the "ta" seems a bit too forceful.

The choppy section right after that could sound better if you made it a bit more legato. Even though it's choppy by nature, you don't have to emphasize each note the way you do. Try making that section flow a bit more smoothly, but still retain the original rhythm.

Anyway, I hope this helps! There are a lot of good things about your singing and I hope you continue to make covers!


Thank you very much^^
My voice isn't usually breathy; I've just been told that its good to fit the style of what you are singing with your own voice and a lot of critique on my voice when covering songs is that it hasn't matched the style of the song! But thank you!
My support is getting better but yes I do need to work on breathing. The consonant thing was probably due to practising my consonants beforehand D
Many thanks for your comments.
0


#10 User is offline   Minato Icon

  • Eh?
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,410
  • Joined: 23-June 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Producers:40mP, DECO*27, ChipotleP

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:50 PM

OKAY, I tried a different song after trying some vocal exercise video and whatnot and it definitely became easier to hit some notes after that. My voice didn't feel as strained when I tried to sing in a stronger voice.

HOWEVER--and I know this is going to sound lame--I think part of the problem is my microphone. My microphone is a headset made for gaming, NOT singing. When I try to sing stronger or louder, it freaks out and does this weird static thing and makes my voice sound super muffled. I don't know how to fix it, but I think I need to just get a new microphone, which is what I'm trying to do.

ANYWAY, putting that aside, do you think I improved at least a little bit? I stumbled on the lyrics, but I just did this as practice to see if any improvements were made.

https://soundcloud.com/muyo-katsura/sebby-love-live-music-start-cover
0


#11 User is offline   Syd March Icon

  • food tastes nice
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,291
  • Joined: 24-May 13
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:reddit

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

Not reviewing, but my music teacher says "breathe through your feet" to describe breathing properly, so that might help you? And when he wants the choir to sing loud, he tells us to think of someone we don't like.
0


#12 User is offline   kevinlyspirit Icon

  • cookies!
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 458
  • Joined: 21-September 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

View PostMinato, on 14 November 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

OKAY, I tried a different song after trying some vocal exercise video and whatnot and it definitely became easier to hit some notes after that. My voice didn't feel as strained when I tried to sing in a stronger voice.

HOWEVER--and I know this is going to sound lame--I think part of the problem is my microphone. My microphone is a headset made for gaming, NOT singing. When I try to sing stronger or louder, it freaks out and does this weird static thing and makes my voice sound super muffled. I don't know how to fix it, but I think I need to just get a new microphone, which is what I'm trying to do.

ANYWAY, putting that aside, do you think I improved at least a little bit? I stumbled on the lyrics, but I just did this as practice to see if any improvements were made.

https://soundcloud.com/muyo-katsura/sebby-love-live-music-start-cover

Oh, good to hear. Exercises and warm-ups are really great for improving your vocals both short and long-term. Comparing your new cover to your earlier one, this one is less breathy, and your tone has more definition and stability. It sounds like a stronger performance for sure, so I'd say there's a very clear improvement. Keep doing what you're doing, because it's working :)

About that microphone...
That static thing that your microphone is doing is more likely than not, digital clipping (there's also a possibility you're overloading the actual mic itself with too much sound pressure). You're recording too hot so you should reduce the input volume by firstly making sure there's no digital boost in system audio device settings (a boost is common for headset microphones), and also try increasing your distance from the microphone when you're singing (use a different headset to listen to the music with if this option is possible). That muffled sound probably comes from a thing people like to call "the proximity effect" which just means that the closer you are to the microphone, the more pronounced its bass response. By moving away from the mic, you can reduce this bassy effect and your voice will sound less muffled as a result. Your tracking volume will be quieter but you can always increase the output gain later.

It's true that the headset mic isn't well suited to anything more than internet chatting, so do get yourself a proper mic if/when you have the chance. It will sound worlds better, no doubt. But keep in mind that input volume and mic placement (relative to the talent, and to a lesser extent the room) are important elements to optimising any recording with any gear, so you could get slightly better results with that gaming headset by playing around with these ideas.
0


#13 User is offline   Minato Icon

  • Eh?
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,410
  • Joined: 23-June 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Producers:40mP, DECO*27, ChipotleP

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:47 AM

View Postkevinlyspirit, on 13 November 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

Oh, good to hear. Exercises and warm-ups are really great for improving your vocals both short and long-term. Comparing your new cover to your earlier one, this one is less breathy, and your tone has more definition and stability. It sounds like a stronger performance for sure, so I'd say there's a very clear improvement. Keep doing what you're doing, because it's working :)

About that microphone...
That static thing that your microphone is doing is more likely than not, digital clipping (there's also a possibility you're overloading the actual mic itself with too much sound pressure). You're recording too hot so you should reduce the input volume by firstly making sure there's no digital boost in system audio device settings (a boost is common for headset microphones), and also try increasing your distance from the microphone when you're singing (use a different headset to listen to the music with if this option is possible). That muffled sound probably comes from a thing people like to call "the proximity effect" which just means that the closer you are to the microphone, the more pronounced its bass response. By moving away from the mic, you can reduce this bassy effect and your voice will sound less muffled as a result. Your tracking volume will be quieter but you can always increase the output gain later.

It's true that the headset mic isn't well suited to anything more than internet chatting, so do get yourself a proper mic if/when you have the chance. It will sound worlds better, no doubt. But keep in mind that input volume and mic placement (relative to the talent, and to a lesser extent the room) are important elements to optimising any recording with any gear, so you could get slightly better results with that gaming headset by playing around with these ideas.



Ah, you're probably right about that. I forgot that such things can happen. Unfortunately, I don't have another microphone I can use and no proper speakers, but I can move the mic up and down, so I'll see how that works @@
I have my eye on a mic that sounds much clearer and isn't a headset, but it's kinda pricy lol but when I get that, I hope everything sounds clearer.

Thanks for the advice!
0


#14 User is offline   Lettuce Icon

  • . N o
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 126
  • Joined: 18-September 11
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Not Telling You

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:50 PM

I could use some critique. I've sort have given up on singing but it's still a big passion for me.

I've been thinking about lessons and such, but I can't afford the ones near me. ( $150 a month for 1 "45 min" lesson every week.. )

This one is supposed to be " cutesy? " idk, it's supposed to sound like a 10 year old for the character.



Theeeeen we have me doing a monogatari song ;



Finally - for laughs - I tried to just do a small dub. LOL



ANDDDD - I did a tuturu video and the downvotes are real LOOOL



0


#15 User is offline   kevinlyspirit Icon

  • cookies!
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 458
  • Joined: 21-September 14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:36 AM

@ Lettuce

Haha, nice selection of clips you have here :P I'll focus mostly on Renai Circulation since it has the most singing in it. I don't know if you noticed, but it's kind of interesting because most of your phrases are sung between a 3rd or a 4th lower than proper pitch, but after 1:15 the pitch is generally spot on. Are you listening to the song as you record your voice? If not you either should grab an mp3 player or something so that you can, or you should find some kind of reference so you can find the right key to sing in again. If you happen to be having trouble following the pitch, find a midi or figure out the melody on another instrument and try to follow it slower than original tempo before reintegrating with the off-vocal.

I'd recommend finding some aural exercises if you haven't done so already (like identifying intervals quickly by ear). You can find videos on YouTube pretty easily for that kind of stuff. It can get a little boring, but I think for any musician it's worth doing something like that every once in a while. You can also find a ton of videos on YouTube about general vocal training, and a lot of them give you some pretty good tips. It's not critical to get a singing teacher but that means you have to spend a lot of time experimenting and trying out different techniques by yourself (I think experimenting by yourself and getting more familiar with your voice is the best way to improve anyway). Personally I didn't feel as if I got a lot out of singing lessons when I was taking them. It was sort of a long time after I stopped taking them that I really started to hear myself improving more. It's still a good choice if you prefer immediate feedback or find yourself lost though--so long as you find a decent teacher that you like.

Apart from this I'd probably have to give you the same general advice as I did Minato. It's really just the broad kind of things I think most singers should keep in mind. Keep practising your technique, do lots of scales and arpeggios and warm ups. Practise good breathing and posture, and try out singing things softly and then later try also with a stronger voice, and then afterwards mix it up so you're singing softly and gradually getting stronger as the song/scale/other progresses, and vice versa. The whole thing is really about improving control, flexibility and coordination. Something I like to do is visualise myself as a cello or a viola. The way the bow glides across the strings, resonating the body to make a dynamic sound. Quiet, strong, quiet, strong, controlled vibrato and gently tapering off. Changes between notes can be either slow portamento slides or they can be abrupt changes like the way it'd sound when they do quick fingering changes on the fretboard. Okay, that whole analogy bit probably doesn't help you much, but I find thinking that way keeps me focused on singing musically.
0


  • (7 Pages) +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users