VocaloidOtaku.net Forums: Best Non-Native English VB - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't take you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2018 DevFuse
  • (4 Pages) +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Non-Native English VB in terms of quality of English and vocal

Poll: Best English VB (97 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Vocaloid has the best English VB?

1. Hatsune Miku English (3 votes [3.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.09%

2. Gumi English (28 votes [28.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.87%

3. Rin Kagamine English (2 votes [2.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.06%

4. Len Kagamine English (1 votes [1.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.03%

5. Luka Megurine (13 votes [13.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.40%

6. MEIKO English (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. KAITO English (3 votes [3.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.09%

8. Macne Nana (5 votes [5.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.15%

9. Fukase English (32 votes [32.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.99%

10. YOHIOLOID (10 votes [10.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   Infoholic Icon

• Digital_S CEO
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Vocaloids:Tone Rion, Macne Nana, Rana, CUL
  • Producers:Circus, Cien, Kikuo

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:58 PM

I voted for Nana! Her quality is really clear and she has nice consonants and she has a pretty solid sound. Her pronunciation may be a bit off at times, but it's more natural and she doesn't sound like she's forcing herself to say 100% perfect sounds. Then she also has the advantage of matching her JP bank which comes in handy in multilingual songs.

#32 User is offline   SilverChihiro Icon

• Icon
  • Vocaloids:anon/kanon, Avanna, et. al.
  • Producers:niki, samfree, EZFG

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

View PostRobyn Is A Ninja, on 05 April 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

^^^This.

English Vocaloids voiced by people who natively speak English, as in, English is their first language, are considered native English Vocaloids. Avanna, Dex, Daina, Al, Cyber Diva, and so on count as Native Engloids and not as foreign English voice banks because their voice providers natively speak the English language. Also, Hio has more of a Swedish accent if anything.

I think what you're trying to argue is whether or not a voice bank is considered foreign based on whether the company natively speaks English and not the VPs. I aggree with Paradoxical that the title of the thread is kinda incorrectly put and I would suggest changing it to something like Japanese->English voice banks instead of just foreign.

While you are correct, it should be noted that
A) By this definition, I believe Miriam is also non-native.
B) Hio's native language is Latin-based. It is significantly easier for a native speaker of a Latin language to speak English than a native Japanese speaker due to the linguistic similarities.

That said, excluding Hio, Fukase and Gumi have the best voice samples imo, closely followed by Luka, Miku and Kaito. (Haven't listened to Nana long enough to have a well-formed opinion, Meiko is decent, Rin and Len aren't.)

#33 User is offline   ZAR-PARTY Icon

• BAD MOTHERHUGGER
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Hatsune Miku, Megurine Luka
  • Producers:OkameP, LamazeP, nekobolo

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:42 PM

WHAT?! What does it mean Miku is on the last places?! Nobody listening to "Our Broken Anthem" nor using her? ٩(ఠ益ఠ)۶

#34 User is offline   Paradoxical Icon

• Icon
  • Vocaloids:Iroha, Dex, Kaito
  • Producers:PeperonP, Ebot

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostZar-Party, on 23 July 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

WHAT?! What does it mean Miku is on the last places?! Nobody listening to "Our Broken Anthem" nor using her? ٩(ఠ益ఠ)۶

This thread was made before her V4 was released, so the majority of votes were made based on her V3 voicebank, which is collectively regarded as being very low quality English.

As well, despite vast improvements, it would be hard to find many people who think she is the best of the best English-wise. While I think her V4 English is amazing, it's hard to compete with vocaloids like Luka V4, Fukase, and Hio who were all voiced by people with a strong knowledge and pronunciation of English.

Plus, Our Broken Anthem was made by CircusP who is well known for getting amazing English out of even some of the worst English banks (or even completely non-English banks).

#35 User is offline   ZAR-PARTY Icon

• BAD MOTHERHUGGER
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Hatsune Miku, Megurine Luka
  • Producers:OkameP, LamazeP, nekobolo

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

View PostParadoxical, on 23 July 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

This thread was made before her V4 was released, so the majority of votes were made based on her V3 voicebank, which is collectively regarded as being very low quality English.

As well, despite vast improvements, it would be hard to find many people who think she is the best of the best English-wise. While I think her V4 English is amazing, it's hard to compete with vocaloids like Luka V4, Fukase, and Hio who were all voiced by people with a strong knowledge and pronunciation of English.

Plus, Our Broken Anthem was made by CircusP who is well known for getting amazing English out of even some of the worst English banks (or even completely non-English banks).

Oh, yeah, V3 wasn't that good. In that case I'd pick Fukase.
Still, out of all English VB's today my favorite is Miku V4. Not only because I love Miku's voice in general, but because she is very easy to use. CircusP noted this on Twitter too. I'm also amazed by the fact that her voice provider doesn't speak English like we do and still made an amazing job.

Most of the English VOCALOID songs don't amaze me because I mishear the lyrics. The ones that I like are "Our Broken Anthem", "Lie" by Luka", "Fighter" by CYBER SONGMAN, "Ten Thousand Stars" by Miku (V3!) and "ECHO" by GUMI.

#36 User is offline   mandeep77 Icon

• Icon

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:57 AM

Len Kagamine is best.

#37 User is offline   Somebodyrandom Icon

• Icon
  • Producers:Shu-tP

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

View Postmandeep77, on 05 December 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

Len Kagamine is best.

Actually while not the worst, its far from the best.

Len's always had the issue of at times struggling to sound masculine because of the voice provider was female and none are more apparent in the English version, which is ranked the worst. It barely matches up to any Japanese vocals because of it and you end up at times with a complete change of tone switching between English and Japanese. This is not the first time this has happened overall as Act1 had Len have similar problems. This is actually no surprise as when you hear the voice actress in real life, not her voice in Vocaloid, she actually can at times struggle to make the two distinct. There was moments the first time I heard Len sounded too much like Rin and vice versa.

English versions of the voicebanks tend to end up softer due to English involving blending. Both Len and Rin have lost some of their power as a consequences of either it or CFM not noticing. There is also a lack of technical distinction as both Rin and Len have the same vocal capabilities, which means the traditional "Rin is better at this and Len is better at that" doesn't even exist... That means when choosing who should be used for a song, there is less of a clear advantage on who will be better then the other. This is the first time that has been the situation for them.

Technically for having a sub standard voicebank, Luka English V2 is the LQ vocaloid low, as she has quite a bit missing and arguable one of the two worst English vocaloids ever made in the V2-V4 range, the other being Sonika. This is usually agreed upon and honestly? ITs pretty much spot on...

Crypton Future Media English voicebanks always have issues though... They either have a single octave of vocal range or/and limited tempo ranges so you end up with a vocal that can very easily collapse if pushed too far, not most people notice it to be fair though. Always much of the time CFM alters the samples to achieve a result they want so... Between the voice acting... It seems the only one who sounds just like her provider was Luka V4x in Japanese.

Technically, on a base level, technically one of the best of the English voicebanks from Japan is actually Macne Nana in her V4 form it turns out, but she doesn't appeal to everyone due to the high pitched vocal. That 200 BPM tempo range alone in both languages means she covers the most genres of any Vocaloid alongside her sister Petit in Japanese. Even her V3 vocal is pretty decent despite its lesser range.

I put value on Fukase, Gumi and Nana, and even on Luka V2 English for actually matching the English and Japanese in vocal range and tempo. In the end this is a lot better as switching voicebanks has some room to match Japanese and English tones.

I discount V1 was the issue with V1 is all voicebanks were subject to the issues of that version of the engine making it unfair to judge them at times against V2 onwards.... It didn't even work the same way.

one good thing about English voicebanks over Japanese is often you are able to easily rank them since their larger voicebanks means more can go wrong with them... Heh. This was exampled in V2 especially wherein the quality from best to worst was well established.

Edit:
Also there is the whole issue with the Kagamines lacking XSY while Luka and Miku have it... But XSY is debateable on how useful it is. The results of XSY are really unpredictable and honestly... Often more LQ then people realise.

The only other English voicebanks with XSY are Nana again... I stress how under valued her voicebanks are for this reason.

#38 User is offline   vocalofan Icon

• Icon

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

This is more opinion than fact, but I feel like Miku V4x is one of the "Better" V4 English banks, she's definitely not as bad as people make her out to be, she just requires more effort than most are willing to put into her, like as in an entire nine months to a year Working on it, which is why I only would recommend her if you're willing to put massive efforts into a glorified Midi.

Tho Nana, Fukase and The currently in development IA Eng are the best non-native engs, seeing as all Three are voiced by fluent English speakers.

LIA's English is almost impossible to find but I heard it once and she's clear as day, actually I think she was playing Ariel or something like that, so.

(still then we have Kim Dahee who can literally make herself sound more American than Ruby https://m.youtube.co...h?v=nDlBkuCSPCk still salty SeeU's dead bc imagine that English as a V4 With Songman's Script. Good Lord that'd be one hella good English bank.)

#39 User is offline   Somebodyrandom Icon

• Icon

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

View PostVocalofan, on 05 December 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

The currently in development IA Eng are the best non-native engs, seeing as all Three are voiced by fluent English speakers.

LIA's English is almost impossible to find but I heard it once and she's clear as day, actually I think she was playing Ariel or something like that, so.

Hoe can you say that until the voicebank is released???

It could be utter crap (doubt it)...

#40 User is offline   SilverChihiro Icon

• Icon
  • Vocaloids:anon/kanon, Avanna, et. al.
  • Producers:niki, samfree, EZFG

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:55 AM

View PostSomebodyrandom, on 05 December 2017 - 02:40 AM, said:

Crypton Future Media English voicebanks always have issues though... They either have a single octave of vocal range or/and limited tempo ranges so you end up with a vocal that can very easily collapse if pushed too far, not most people notice it to be fair though. Always much of the time CFM alters the samples to achieve a result they want so... Between the voice acting... It seems the only one who sounds just like her provider was Luka V4x in Japanese.

Technically, on a base level, technically one of the best of the English voicebanks from Japan is actually Macne Nana in her V4 form it turns out, but she doesn't appeal to everyone due to the high pitched vocal. That 200 BPM tempo range alone in both languages means she covers the most genres of any Vocaloid alongside her sister Petit in Japanese. Even her V3 vocal is pretty decent despite its lesser range.

I put value on Fukase, Gumi and Nana, and even on Luka V2 English for actually matching the English and Japanese in vocal range and tempo. In the end this is a lot better as switching voicebanks has some room to match Japanese and English tones.

While I completely agree with your point, I'd like to point out that while Luka V4X English doesn't exactly match range, it is fairly close, and tempo matches- her voicebanks could probably submit . Miku's V4X English is also reasonably close on both fronts, although not quite as well.

I could be wrong, but I suspect any newer Crypton English vocals will match those two more than the V3's.

As for this topic, I would say Fukase is the best J->E, closely followed by Gumi. Luka V4X takes third, and while she isn't great, I think Meiko English deserves at least a little more usage.

#41 User is offline   Somebodyrandom Icon

• Icon

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:14 AM

It starts noticing when you get to Meiko, as not only has she got a single octave like Kaito... Just 30 bpm tempo range is kinda pathetic when the other voicebanks have double the tempo. Both her and Kaito are based on theirV1, which despite everyone thinking only had a small vocal range (itwas vocaloid not their voicebanks giving the them range don't forget). But their still bigger then the English vocal. But still its a single octave. ot going to ignore that. But here is the thing, Kaito's tempo range for his voice is on par with his Japanese vocals. The problem was Miku was like Meiko and had once again a single octave plus 30 BMP thus in the V3 era, Kaito ended up having a far superior voicebank overMeiko and Miku since it could do more despite its limited range.

The ranges get bigger in V4 overall, but still lack in comparison to the Japanese versions. Vocaloid4 Miku is closer to the original, but for now, in every occurrence there is a reduction when it switches to English... And now it appears the same will happen in Chinese. I hope this changes. But its definitely far worst in V3 then V4 and I think Meiko English's future releases will definitely hopefully be better like Miku English V4 was over V3.

#42 User is offline   vocalofan Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:20 AM

View PostSomebodyrandom, on 05 December 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Hoe can you say that until the voicebank is released???

It could be utter crap (doubt it)...

I mean they did say they're making her "Up to standard" and "We aren't releasing her if she's not good enough".

That and she's Fluent in english and did schooling here in the states, so she has at least Fukase level english.

EDIT

Stalked her Twitter Instagram

https://www.instagra...by=lia_vocalist

Here's her english, clear as day.

#43 User is offline   Somebodyrandom Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:16 AM

I'm not saying that, I'm saying until the voicebank is with us we can't judge it compared to other Vocaloids.

We have seen promises made before that weren't met.

#44 User is offline   Infoholic Icon

• Digital_S CEO
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Tone Rion, Macne Nana, Rana, CUL
  • Producers:Circus, Cien, Kikuo

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

No offence, but Miku's only bipitch, and that's saying something. She sounds good, but quality wise she is definitely not the best.

#45 User is offline   Somebodyrandom Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

Most English and Japanese Vocaloid are only 2 or 3 pitches, this was noted by Syo in regards to Ruby, she has more then that.

• (4 Pages) +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users