VocaloidOtaku.net Forums: Tuning/Mixing Critique Thread - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't take you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2018 DevFuse
  • (19 Pages) +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tuning/Mixing Critique Thread

#256 User is offline   summers50 Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Vocaloids:Miku, Luka, Megpoid
  • Producers:Mitchie, Circus, D*27

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

link

I think the popping noises are just the way the software is and I'll just deal. DYN or VUL slider making an upside down spike where they happen can be used like a bandaid i guess it but when the instrumental is on it's not that bad so ill just ignore it.

Actually really helpful to do that transcription, thanks. Noise mostly comes from the breath slider...I'm trying to make it more understandable by giving the consonants some space and making them louder, tho it makes it sound more like a she's singing with f dynamically instead of mp...essentially being really forceful with the lyrics. What seems like drastic changes in the tuning makes only subtle changes in the result. I think 70% understandable should be my goal for now.

This is actually getting difficult, lol

lyrics
Spoiler

#257 User is offline   Hatsune-hakase Icon

• Professor of Vocaloidology
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Miku, Luka, Gumi, Meiko
  • Producers:DECO*27, CircusP, PinocchioP

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

View Postsummers50, on 06 August 2017 - 01:37 AM, said:

This is actually getting difficult, lol

I really dig the song once you put the vocal and the instrumental together! The noise is much less noticeable. Pronunciation-wise, you could probably get away with things as they are now.

I agree that giving consonants space is a good way to make them clearer, and I think you could do more of that in places. For example, the very first "th" of "thought" is so short it sounds more like "tought" or "dought." Maybe you're happy with this pronunciation, but I'd want to change it. What I'd probably do is splice out the initial [T] phoneme from the word and place it in its own note that actually falls a little before the beat, so that it's actually the vowel that arrives on the beat. I'd then fiddle with the length of the [T] note until I was happy with it. This is actually what I find myself doing most of the time: splicing out initial consonants and placing them in notes that appear a bit before the beat, where I place the vowel sound.

Also, the "yet" of the second "Don't go away yet" sounds more like "yea" because I don't get the final "t" sound. It's there the first time, so perhaps just copy and paste.

#258 User is offline   Gilby Glibber Icon

• gununu
  • Icon
  • Producers:ryo, keeno, OneRoom, kz

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

New mix. I might overdone it on the snare drum..?

#259 User is offline   GreenFantasy64 Icon

• That Kaito/MiKai FanGirl
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Kaito

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

miku feature kaito

Kaito feature Miku

How do i get rid of clipping that occurs when i exported the file also, please?
P.S. Sorry I'm in a hurry. (^_^')>

#260 User is offline   Hatsune-hakase Icon

• Icon

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:35 AM

View PostGreenFantasy64, on 09 September 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

Thanks for posting these! I have to point out though that you've still got some major synchronization issues between the vocal tracks and the instrumental. The vocals are consistently too early, usually a whole beat. For example, when the vocals first come in with "They say..." the "They" comes right on beat one, at the same time as that low drum, but it should actually come on beat 2, one beat after the drum. Hopefully if you shift everything over by one beat, it will all align correctly.

I also think the vocals might be a bit too loud in comparison to the instrumental.

Thanks for sharing! Hope you can make them even better!

#261 User is offline   Frousties Icon

• Icon
  • Vocaloids:CyVa / IA / GUMI
  • Producers:Circus-P / MitchieM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostHatsune-hakase, on 10 September 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

Thanks for posting these! I have to point out though that you've still got some major synchronization issues between the vocal tracks and the instrumental. The vocals are consistently too early, usually a whole beat. For example, when the vocals first come in with "They say..." the "They" comes right on beat one, at the same time as that low drum, but it should actually come on beat 2, one beat after the drum. Hopefully if you shift everything over by one beat, it will all align correctly.

I also think the vocals might be a bit too loud in comparison to the instrumental.

Thanks for sharing! Hope you can make them even better!

I also want to point out that the vocals cruelly lacks energy (mostly during the chorus), you can get around this issue by making a very high harmony during the harmony and a more thorough tuning.

Also, yes, the vocals are definitely too loud, and off-time.

#262 User is offline   U.N.A Icon

• Icon
  • Vocaloids:Avanna, IA
  • Producers:niki, yuyoyuppe

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

I started making a cover of Owl City's "Hello Seattle" with Avanna! I wanted it to sound kind of synthetic, but before I went any further I started to wonder if it was a bit overkill since VOCALOID is pretty synthetic to begin with... Any tips / opinions on the mastering would also be fantastic :D

https://soundcloud.com/user-119136936/hello-seattle-avanna-mix-test-snippet

#263 User is offline   Hatsune-hakase Icon

• Icon

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

I don't think you're going too overboard. I listened first without reading your post, and I noticed Avanna sounded a little bit "robotic," but in the vein of GLaDOS from the Portal games rather than full-blown BEEP BOOP I'M A ROBOT WUB WUB WUB. Then when I read what your intention was it made sense and I think you are on the right track.

#264 User is offline   summers50 Icon

• Icon

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:14 PM

Soundcloud

Back again for more, only to get lost again. I've heard other tuners add so much body to the voice, and it'd be consistent. Is there something playing along the voice or some mixing technique? (Ex. tell your world kyaami's english cover the voice isn't so raw like out of the box) Also still shooting for >75% legible/un-Engrished.

#265 User is offline   Hatsune-hakase Icon

• Icon

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

One way to make the vocals sound fuller is to chorus them--that is, add additional, secondary vocal parts to the main one that reinforce it. The simplest way to do this is to double the vocal part an octave higher and/or lower. You can also add parts singing above/below at other intervals, likes thirds, fourths, fifths, and sixths. In the final mix, these chorusing parts won't be as loud as the main vocal, so the effect is that they support the main voice. Kyaami's Tell Your World cover has a lot of chorusing in it.

#266 User is offline   summers50 Icon

• Icon

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:18 AM

When I listen to it closely I can only pick out one supporting voice panned slightly to the left sometimes. Hard to tell what interval is there because it's so quiet. But I can't pick out anything in the main voice, it sounds like an instrument or synth noise playing along the vocal's notes. Is that the result of chorusing lots of voices together like you were telling me? Or do I just suck at analyzing and that it's a well handled compressor...

I've chorused things sparingly before and only on thirds cuz everything else doesn't work most of the time. Fruity chorus makes warbly noise.

-edit-
youtube
Okay, so I added chorus like I did another cover, one that is a third up and one an octave down. Used fl chorus on the side but also made it really light (it seems to give slight stereo). Is this right?

#267 User is offline   SilverChihiro Icon

• Icon
  • Vocaloids:anon/kanon, Avanna, et. al.
  • Producers:niki, samfree, EZFG

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:16 AM

First song attempt

Ignoring the bad instrumentals, any suggestions on how I could improve?

#268 User is offline   summers50 Icon

• Icon

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostSilverChihiro, on 26 December 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

First song attempt

Ignoring the bad instrumentals, any suggestions on how I could improve?

Err, I would think the third note in sounds off key from the instrumental try moving it up or down. As for the melody the middle to end starts to feel like a run on sentence, maybe simplify the phrase or shorten it. I'm expecting a resolve or two but it just doesn't happen, or when it does it's not obvious.

#269 User is offline   breezy Icon

• dying but trying
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:anyone that isn't Aoki Lapis
  • Producers:Steampianist, cilia, niki

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

I tried to make Oliver sing in Japanese using a little trick I learned from a friend: putting a [ d ] in a tiny note all by itself before a note beginning with [ r ] so that it sounds more like a Japanese R. Hopefully he's understandable enough.

Other than that, I did very little to the VSQ. I just made him a little softer in the beginning and some basic DYN tweaking. I plug-and-played like a filthy pleb.

#270 User is offline   SilverChihiro Icon

• Icon
  • Vocaloids:anon/kanon, Avanna, et. al.
  • Producers:niki, samfree, EZFG

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:55 AM

View Postsummers50, on 27 December 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

Err, I would think the third note in sounds off key from the instrumental try moving it up or down. As for the melody the middle to end starts to feel like a run on sentence, maybe simplify the phrase or shorten it. I'm expecting a resolve or two but it just doesn't happen, or when it does it's not obvious.

Maybe a key that was all sharps wasn't such a good idea lol

• (19 Pages) +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users