VocaloidOtaku.net Forums: Japan: Things To Do, Places To Visit? - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums

New VO Changelog - Find out more: http://www.vocaloido...ew-vo-changelog

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't take you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2017 DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Japan: Things To Do, Places To Visit? Taking suggestions for my future Japan Trip!

#1 User is offline   Hentai Icon

• |-| |ミ |\| "|" /-\ | -[]D
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:55 PM

So I am graduating this Spring and as a little present to myself I am doing that dream trip to Japan every weeaboo has on their bucket list.

Total time is 18 days with 7 days in Tokyo, 7 days in Osaka, and 3 days of flex. Flights and accommodations are all booked now its to planning individual days and the things I want to see and do.

Any of you been to Japan? Tips for a future tourist?
Any suggestions on where a Vocaloid/Anime/Manga/Game fan (read: weeaboo) should visit?

I have a rough plan that involves buying a JR Rail pass but beyond that I am pretty open to suggestions before I map out my daily itinerary for my time there.

#2 User is offline   lilravn Icon

• Cyber stalks better than most....
  • Icon

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:12 AM

Please take pictures.. Not tourist ones.. Every day life...

#3 User is offline   Mermaid Festa Vol.Tri Icon

• Mofu~
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Guuuuuuuumiiiiiiii
  • Producers:in sig

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:44 AM

*WEEB MODE ENGAGE*
well, first off, there's all the game companies like Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Nintendo, etc, that you can visit. and ofc all the anime studios(including the Ghibli Museum) to visit as well.

as for places(or things) that were in anime(s) and/or are just cool to visit:
Akibahara/Akihabara: the nerd's holy land
Nakano Broadway: mostly a mall but still very cool
Tokyo Tower: mostly known by Kaiju fans bc of one of the Godzilla films(i think it was a Mothra one??)
Gundam Front Tokyo: even if you're not a huge Gundam fan, everyone should take a picture with the famous life-sized Gundam statue
also, while you're visiting Gundam Front, you might as well go through all of Odaiba, a large amount of places in Odaiba(including another famous site: Fuji TV) were featured prominently in Digimon S1

*WEEB MODE DISENGAGE*

hope this helps! <3
and like what lilraven said, take pictures pls i need to see irl Odaiba so badly

#4 User is offline   thatguy Icon

• Icon
  • Producers:Obscure artists

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:04 AM

Makes friends before the trip so your exposed to more culture past the weeb part.
You could also do that to lessen the cost of travel and get a more in-depth view of the culture.
Places, Im not sure as I'm only aware of akihabara and other major (largely anime oriented) areas.
You could go to that hot spring that's literally a giant bowl of ramen.
You could go to a public bath house. Always wanted to go to one of those at least once.
You should at least once, just get lost. Might help if you speak the language a little though.
Take my suggestions with a grain of salt cuz I'm more interested in the financial aspect of this trip since I want to do something similar in the future

#5 User is offline   Hentai Icon

• |-| |ミ |\| "|" /-\ | -[]D
  • Icon

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

View Postthatguy, on 14 October 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt cuz I'm more interested in the financial aspect of this trip since I want to do something similar in the future

My total budget is around 3.5k for an 18 day trip.

If you do a shorter trip, specifically 7 or 14 days, and don't purposely budget $900 to bring back merch and souvenirs you can probably do much better than that. Do bring friends if you plan on going. Not only is it more fun with said friends, you can also split the accommodation costs making it much cheaper per individual.

By far the most expensive part of my trip is the transport costs. If you want to use the Shinkansen, if you want to cover any kind of ground a JR Rail Pass is almost a necessity. Generally they run $277 for a 7 Day Pass and $477 for a 14 Day Pass. It may seem expensive but when you are planning your trip around $135 Shinkansen (each way) rides the pass is much more economical.

Transportation $1,179
$602 - Round Trip Airfare
$477 - 14 Day JR Rail Pass
$100* - Suica Allowance
* JR Rail Pass expires before end of trip. Will need Suica to get back to Narita.

Accommodations $632
$216* - 7 Nights in Tokyo Apartment (airbnb)
$145* - 7 Nights in Osaka Apartment (airbnb)
$71* - 2 Nights in Hiroshima Apartment (airbnb)
$200 - 1 Night + 2 meals in Ryokan/Hot Spring Resort.
* - Airbnb renting entire apartment, split 3-ways.

Discretionary $1,689
$450-810 - Food. Allocating $25-45 per day.
$350 - Sightseeing budget. Approx $20 per day.
$529-889 - Merchandise & souvenir budget. Things to take home.

Notes:
I booked my flight well in 8 months in advance and purposely booked it in an off season to get the lowest possible rate, $602 after taxes and fees round trip. Within 2 weeks of my booking the exact same flight had shot up to +$800 so I am glad we got our flights when we did.

The actual cost for the Airbnb accommodations was $1,250 but by planning this trip with 3 friends we are able to split the room cost. It could have been cheaper, but I wanted decent rooms, close to train stations, from highly rated hosts. Still came out pretty cheap versus traditional hotels, with much better accommodations than cheap hostels.

I made food/merch my flex budget. I will save when I can but left room to indulge in local specialties like Kobe beef etc. I budgeted A LOT for merch, so much so I am planning to go with an empty checked bag so I can take it with me on the plane back instead of shipping it home. Thankfully, ANA allows for 2 checked bags on their international flights.

The sightseeing budget would be smaller if I wasn't planning to visit Tokyo Disney. That alone is like $75. Beyond that expect to pay fees or make donations whenever you visit castles or temples and you want to take the tour. Can probably look from the outside for free, but whats the point of visiting Himeji Castle if you don't actually go inside?

#6 User is offline   Faiyez Icon

• Notorious Heretic
  • Icon
  • Producers:wowaka,iroha,Buriru-P,DECO*27

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

^Looks like you have much of your stuff very well thought out. Perhaps you could share what your trip dates are? I last visited in spring and there are some pretty neat things you can do depending on the days you're spending in Japan.

I consider these to be top tier landmarks for visiting: (photographs taken by me)

Outside of Tokyo
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

In Tokyo
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just to mention a few!

It looks like you're spending more than 7 days out of Tokyo, so a 7-day JR Pass would be out of the question. However, don't automatically assume a 14-day JR Pass pays off. Try playing around with this JR Pass calculator http://www.aoimirai....calculator.html

So you're going as far as Hiroshima and you mentioned Himeji, which is great. A simple day trip to Himeji from Osaka and you're getting your money's worth. You could stretch the value of that pass if you make an additional side trip. I'm only telling you this because my itinerary took me as far as Fukuoka (and back to Tokyo) on just a 7-day Pass. Talk about getting your money's worth! And it didn't feel rushed at all.

By all means, consider visiting a major onsen town to stay at a ryokan. I don't know how you feel about bathing in an onsen, but it's a must for me, if only because anime advertises them so much! I have come to love the onsen experience. You would be splurging of course, but you find good deals in off-season weekdays, even if you're traveling solo.

Okay, scrap that! I just noticed you have the ryokan thing covered as well. I honestly think you have it mostly sorted out. Really, you're better off than 99% of people who post questions on Reddit's Japan Travel, lol.

#7 User is offline   mvcucumber Icon

• tsuki no usagi
  • Icon
  • Producers:Mitchie M, GigaP

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:03 PM

View PostHentai, on 14 October 2016 - 02:55 AM, said:

Any suggestions on where a Vocaloid[SKIP] fan (read: weeaboo) should visit?

Vocaloid fans must to be there once in their lifetime.
It is located on the 11th floor in this building.
It is a 5-minute walk to the south from station.

Click the link

Spoiler

#8 User is offline   Mikubyte Icon

• Icon
  • Vocaloids:Miku, Gumi, VY1

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

-

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic