VocaloidOtaku.net Forums: How to recover data from scratched disc?!? - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums

New VO Changelog - Find out more: http://www.vocaloido...ew-vo-changelog

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't take you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2017 DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to recover data from scratched disc?!? PLEASE HELP ;A;

#1 User is offline   ChibiWolf18 Icon

• Ore-Sama
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Vocaloids:Utatane Piko, Kagamine Len, Kaito, Meiko
  • Producers:Crusher-p, Vocacircus, GHOST

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hello!

A while back (3-4 years ago) I scratched a PC game disc after I lent it to a friend. Technically she scratched it, but yeah. Anyways I thought 'Oh its fine, I don't need the disc to run the game since its already installed on my computer.' The computer btw is an IBM laptop that ran on Windows XP. Its very old (had it since I was four years old) so the battery lasts for like 5-15 minutes until it needs to be plugged in.

Next year, I am getting a new computer for school (A Dell laptop that will possibly run on Windows 10) and only now do I miss the game. A lot. The Dell doesn't have a disc drive so I thought I would just get the installation files from the disc, but I can't since the disc is scratched and any computer I use (I have one that runs on Windows 7 and one on Windows 10) won't load it.

The condition of the disk is pretty bad in my opinion. Lots of minor scratches with one scratch less than 1mm deep. The label side has also been scratched.

I have tried a program that reads a scratched disc, but it didn't read the disc either. I heard that there are other programs so I'll try those on the weekends. Is there anything else I can try?

Also, is there a way to get the files from the Programs Files in the old laptop and put it onto a new one?

If nothing works, then I'll either find a free download or own up to it. Please help!

#2 User is offline   Amero Icon

• I'm not a currency.
  • Icon
  • Producers:Neru, MIR△ISONIC

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:04 AM

I'm not sure how well this works since everything I can find related to it it is several years old, but apparently peanut butter can help repairing discs.

#3 User is offline   Marric Icon

• Technidude at your service
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Producers:<empty>

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostAmero, on 11 November 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

I'm not sure how well this works since everything I can find related to it it is several years old, but apparently peanut butter can help repairing discs.

Oh, please not. Thats bs, the same is with toothpaste or putting the CD into boiling water.

There are several repair kits available, using special brushes and made-for-this pastes.

They work to a several degree of scratches, but if there are too many and/or too deep, then the data is surely unreadable and unrecoverable.

#4 User is offline   ChibiWolf18 Icon

• Ore-Sama
  • Icon

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for the answers!

I didn't really wanna try repairing it with peanut butter or toothpaste cuz I don't wanna make it worse ^-^'

I'm sure I can find some sort of tool kit, but again I probably can't mostly cuz I would have to ask my parents first.

I did some research, and apparently some game shops resurface disks for around $5, but I really don't know if that'll help (I did leave it for a few years...)

#5 User is offline   AyuRox Icon

• Icon

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

The clear underside of the disc isn't the problem (or at least isn't as much of a problem). The etchings that the laser actually reads are a lot closer to the label side; the scratches on the label side are the ones that you have to worry about. Resurfacing can fix the clear side, but if the label side is scratched, the etched data itself is likely compromised and gone forever. Here's some more info: http://www.fixadisc....disc-repair.php

Towards the bottom, that link gives a litmus test for determining if the disc is fixable. It says if you hold the disc up to a light and can see holes or scratches through the label, the data itself has been damaged.

If the disc isn't fixable, perhaps you can just buy another copy of the game. 3-4 years old is still new enough that I think you could find another copy used somewhere online.

#6 User is offline   ChibiWolf18 Icon

• Ore-Sama
  • Icon

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:36 AM

I guess your right about buying a new copy. I did find a reasonably cheap copy of the game on eBay (With free shipping to Australia! :D) I'll check to see if the labelled side is still alright, but its been scratched so I think its already too far gone anyways.

#7 User is offline   missy20201 Icon

• was Lεօղ
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Engloids + Kaito + SPNloids

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

Wait... If you have the files on the old computer why don't you just put them on Mediafire or something and DL them on the new laptop? Or, do you not have the installation files...

If you were morally ambiguous about it, you could always find a copy online. Since technically you legally bought it...

#8 User is offline   ChibiWolf18 Icon

• Ore-Sama
  • Icon

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:14 AM

I still have the program files on my laptop, but I don't think it would work cuz apparently most games need to go through the setup process, though I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it. As for free downloads, its a reasonably unknown game ands its old so I don't think there are any free downloads up. Plus, the only one that I found that actually has a download link just leads you to a bunch of ads rather than actually downloading the game so that's useless. I'll see if I can access the computer later today once I finish doing other things.

At this point in time, the best (and only) options that I have is either getting the disc resurfaced or buying a new copy (For some reason though, I feel like we have more than one copy of the game. Maybe that's just me desperately hoping for there to be an easy solution).

#9 User is offline   missy20201 Icon

• was Lεօղ
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Engloids + Kaito + SPNloids

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:51 AM

Hmmm. Free versions of games can be hard to find online, and tricky to get while avoiding viruses and scams (took me about a week and eight different malware removers to get Chrome to stop opening ads every minute or so when I went to some shady sites looking for stuff, so be careful if you choose this option!)

But yeah good luck! I hope you can figure something out :/

#10 User is offline   ChibiWolf18 Icon

• Ore-Sama
  • Icon

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

I might as well tell my dad. There are absolutely NO free versions of this game at all. Although, my friend did tell me she has a machine that fixes scratched discs... But even if the disc doesn't work after that, I have a better excuse to how I scratched it rather than the disc no working with no scratches so... Oh well. Wish me luck telling him >-<

#11 User is offline   Marric Icon

• Technidude at your service
  • Icon
  • Producers:<empty>

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:22 AM

In the early days of computer games on disks and CDs you were actually encouraged (by the games themselves or it was listed in the printed manual) to create your own copies of them, just for the case the "originals" get lost or damaged.

#12 User is offline   ChibiWolf18 Icon

• Ore-Sama
  • Icon

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:39 AM

Yeah I would imagine why lol. I remember a USB with some stuff on it, so maybe my dad might have it? I'm not entirely sure.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users