VocaloidOtaku.net Forums: "Cute 'Kawaii' Culture May Be Holding Back Japan's Women" ? - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums

New VO Changelog - Find out more: http://www.vocaloido...ew-vo-changelog

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't take you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2017 DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Cute 'Kawaii' Culture May Be Holding Back Japan's Women" ?

#1 User is offline   mikusingularity Icon

• 1 Miku > 4 gumis
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

https://www.bloomber...ier-s-wife-says

Japan’s women are being held back by pressure from men to be cute, rather than capable, the wife of Japan’s prime minister said in an interview.

"Men’s thinking has not changed," 54-year-old Akie Abe said last week when asked how society’s attitude to women has evolved since she joined the workforce in her twenties. "Japanese men tend to prefer cute women over capable and hardworking women. So women try to appear to be the type that men like. Even very talented women put on cutesy ways."

While many more women now continue working after marriage and children, "big companies are a man’s world," she said. "Some things have changed and others haven’t."

I always liked the "cuteness" culture of Japan, but I never thought "cute" and "capable" (or "independent") had to be mutually exclusive. What do you think of this?

#2 User is offline   sleepysheep7 Icon

• GET OFF MY LAWN YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS!
  • Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members
  • Vocaloids:BIG AL
  • Producers:OSTER-P

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:43 AM

It is an interesting take on why women in Japan's work world are in smaller roles. However I would of worded more around the line of Japan's society still think that in a more traditional manner; where women and men are separate sphere's of influence on society or something around those lines.

#3 User is offline   Chia-P Icon

• Active Vocaloid Producer
  • Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members
  • Vocaloids:Hatsune Miku, Yohioloid, Cyber Songman
  • Producers:kzlivetune, Mitchie M

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

In my personal opinion, I can see the appeal in either "type of women" (for lack of better words). I can deeply respect hardworking women while I can be interested in cute women (non-romantically to be specific). I mean, as long as the women being given attention aren't being seen as mere sex objects I guess treatment is "somewhat decent" despite being able to reach towards larger improvements. I'm actually pretty happy with women joining the workforce in Japan, but like all countries, there are unfair social norms. I just hope those norms slowly and eventually even out. Equalization of housewives / househusbands in ratio of working husbands and working wives (however it's not a requirement to be married in my eyes to begin with, more like a preference / choice between the individuals) might be nice.

I do like the "Cute culture" of Japan, but I think there are other preferences/social standards/tolerances/concepts to be embraced as alternatives.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users