VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid: Bandcamp's awesome article about Vocaloid & it's western producers - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums - Providing Everything Vocaloid

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't fetch you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2017 DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bandcamp's awesome article about Vocaloid & it's western producers it even mentioned this forum too!

#1 User is offline   exemplar Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

You guys really need to read this article

Edit: At the time of posting this edit, this article is the lead article on Bandcamp's frontpage

#2 User is offline   D!zzy Icon

• [dZ]
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Producers:Hachi, Team Kamiuta, Ryuryu

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

First thing I see is traced art, good grief.

However, the article itself is very well researched.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

三月は夜の底 古川本舗

#3 User is offline   Azureflux Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • Producers:Vocallective's

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

I wonder if other producers feel misrepresented as I do.
Lesson learned: don't do interviews if the interviewer doesn't quote their questions. I strived for realism in my blues album, but I usually make electronic music.

#4 User is offline   FlyingCarParts Icon

• VSTi Metal Musician
  • Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members
  • Producers:owlscillate, cepheid, furez

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

I didn't expect this at all lol interesting!
My Soundcloud Profile | YouTube | Facebook (faster PM replies) | Doodles

Windows 8 | FL Studio 11 | Piapro Studio | Paint Tool SAI

I designed Marie Ork's default growl art.

Vocaloids I own:
Spoiler

Alter/Ego voicebanks I own:
Spoiler

#5 User is offline   Azureflux Icon

• Icon

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

Posting here because Bandcamp didn't approve my comment:

Posted Image

Can't say I'm impressed with the way they treated me so far, guys.

#6 User is offline   D!zzy Icon

• [dZ]
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Producers:Hachi, Team Kamiuta, Ryuryu

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

Here's hoping it was an innocent misinterpretation. The rest of the article seems open-minded and well informed.

They bought up some interesting points about the relationship between "high" art (pure self expression) and "low" art (fandom and pop culture) within the Vocaloid community.

There has always been tension between the different ways Vocaloid media is created and consumed. On one side we have the 'fandom': people who create headcanons, love the mascots and focus on characterising them. On the other side we have the 'artists', who feel frustrated when the treatment of Miku as an idol overshadows their work as musicians.

One views Vocaloid as a medium to enjoy characters, the other views Vocaloid as a conduit for their personal expression. And obviously, there's a lot of people who enjoy both.

What we know for sure is that Vocaloid will always be changing, moving from primarily expression to primarily fandom, and back again. In the past, appealing to fandom caused a massive boom for Vocaloid's popularity in Japan, but this buzz won't last forever. The direction of Vocaloid is changing again, and I will be interested to see how community around the software develops.

P.S I don't think they'll ever be a point where we have purely one side or the other, even if Vocaloid does become more artistry-orientated, they'll always be a pretty big audience for fandom.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

三月は夜の底 古川本舗

#7 User is offline   Azureflux Icon

• Icon

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:58 PM

I told Mariana (the writer) yesterday if she could add a little something to clarify it but she replied immediately with "no". Not very receptive, might be having a bad day. But now there's a bunch of people thinking that I make blues, where I told her all about my projects and she mentioned that one only. Like, that album requires a different mindset than my electronic music.

#8 User is offline   spark300c Icon

• Icon
  • Producers:porter robinson, MJQ

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

the uncanny valley seems never to issue with me. I post some of my songs to pop punk animo. voicaloid are not pitch perfect. they swing in pitch by serval cents. the mindset of punk community totally different form the voicaloid community. on my cover on row row your boat. I got the comment "Dude punk rock's not supposed to ruined by professionalism" the comment chain started "how's that punk?" then explained why it was. then got the not supposed to ruined by professionalism comment. the fact that I use vocaloid seem to not to mater.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Malcolm / LyleMusic Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostAzureflux, on 17 February 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

Can't say I'm impressed with the way they treated me so far, guys.

Azureflux - I do take your point and there is nothing worse than being misquoted especially when it is in an important and widely used site. It is unacceptable to both misquote and to refuse to amend the article. On the positive side, the writer has done Vocaloid a good service by bringing it and those who use it to the wider music audience. For that I think she deserves our thanks. She certainly has mine - even if she didn't mention me!
Latest new CDs (not Vocaloid but originally recorded with Vocaloids)
https://lylemusic.bandcamp.com/
My Vocaloid CD (at Vocallective)
http://store.vocalle...m/songs-of-gaia
Jazz, Swing, Easy Listening and Classical:
http://www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
Celtic and New Age:
http://www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic

#10 User is offline   Azureflux Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostMalcolm / LyleMusic, on 18 February 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Azureflux - I do take your point and there is nothing worse than being misquoted especially when it is in an important and widely used site. It is unacceptable to both misquote and to refuse to amend the article. On the positive side, the writer has done Vocaloid a good service by bringing it and those who use it to the wider music audience. For that I think she deserves our thanks. She certainly has mine - even if she didn't mention me!

I just wish she/her editor didn't cherry-pick my interview to create a character for the article. They introduced me inaccurately to a bunch of people. Still they refuse to approve this comment:

Posted Image

Why? For that I cannot be thankful.

This sucks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users