VocaloidOtaku.net Forums: Beginner's Questions - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't take you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2018 DevFuse
  • (6 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beginner's Questions New to the software? Come ask us!

#1 User is online   Move->Forward Icon

• That Piapro Studio Girl
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Vocaloids:The Cryptons

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hello! This thread is for people just starting to use the VOCALOID software!

For any questions you have about using the VOCALOID software, ask here!

If you want feedback on your mixing or tuning, you can post in this thread here.

I'll edit the OP to include an FAQ as questions are asked and answered.

Oh and, this is open for everyone to ask and answer questions!

Some references:
Tuning/Mixing Critique Thread
Piapro Studio tutorials thread
List of VOCALOID trials
Tutorial directory on the VOCALOID Wikia
Video Tutorial directory on the VOCALOID Wikia

#2 User is offline   Hatsune-hakase Icon

• Professor of Vocaloidology
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Vocaloids:Miku, Luka, Gumi, Meiko
  • Producers:DECO*27, CircusP, PinocchioP

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

Wonderful idea for a thread!

I have a question that I hope is suitable to this topic: Regarding the "Expressive Vibrato" job plugin, what's the best way to use it? It seems that all the pros prefer it over the default vibrato, because it gives you complete control and allows you to also manipulate DYN, BRI, and GEN in addition to PIT. But for a beginner like me it's a bit overwhelming. It isn't clear to me what all of the categories mean (such as "vibrato phase"), how they interact with each other, and how to adjust everything to get a desired effect. Using it is like feeling around in the dark. I don't have an intuitive sense of how to control it, and often the vibrato that results sounds really rough and unnatural.

So, what I'm asking for is a beginner's tutorial on using the Expressive Vibrato job plugin.

Edit: And hello from one megane Miku to another!

#3 User is online   Move->Forward Icon

• Icon

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

I can't help much with plug-ins in the VOCALOID4 Editor since I don't have it, but hopefully someone else can;

I have tried adjusting vibrato with PIT, but it's hard for me to do it that way. For me, I adjust the vibrato parameters (vibrato rate and vibrato depth) using the curve tools that Piapro Studio offers.
Like this:

So ah, I think you should do what works best for you--you don't have to do it the same way the pros do!

And hello there, fellow glasses-wearing Miku!

#4 User is offline   Hatsune-hakase Icon

• Icon

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

View PostMove->Forward, on 17 June 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

For me, I adjust the vibrato parameters (vibrato rate and vibrato depth) using the curve tools that Piapro Studio offers.

Thanks! So then my follow-up question is: what's the virtue of having the vibrato's "depth" (which I assume means the difference in PIT between the highest and lowest points of the vibrato's PIT oscillation) and "rate" (which I assume means how quickly the PIT oscillates) gradually rise with a curve and then drop off sharply at the very end, as you've drawn it? It's these sorts of things that I'm looking for advice on: how manipulating parameters in certain ways achieves certain effects (this really goes for everything, not just vibrato).

#5 User is online   Move->Forward Icon

• Icon

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

View PostHatsune-hakase, on 17 June 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

Thanks! So then my follow-up question is: what's the virtue of having the vibrato's "depth" (which I assume means the difference in PIT between the highest and lowest points of the vibrato's PIT oscillation) and "rate" (which I assume means how quickly the PIT oscillates) gradually rise with a curve and then drop off sharply at the very end, as you've drawn it? It's these sorts of things that I'm looking for advice on: how manipulating parameters in certain ways achieves certain effects (this really goes for everything, not just vibrato).

The reason I adjust these vibrato parameters as you see here is to give a more gradual change compared to if there were no curves and just lines. I also just really like vibrato and how it sounds like this--the parameters reach fairly high how I do it.

If you'd like an example of how I do vibrato, I did the tuning for this song here: NND link.

For me, I adjust things according to logic. I think a lot when I tune, but ultimately, I think it can apply to everyone to just do what sounds best. It's a lot of trial and error in tuning. Adjust something a little different--how does it sound? Did it sound better before or after the change? Things like that.

#6 User is offline   TJ Studio Icon

• Vocal Synth Electronic/EDM Producer
  • Icon
  • Producers:VocaCircus

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Are there any good VOCALOID tuning tutorials? I wanna become a good VOCALOID tuner to impress my listeners

#7 User is offline   Infoholic Icon

• Digital_S CEO
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Tone Rion, Macne Nana, Rana, CUL
  • Producers:Circus, Cien, Kikuo

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

View PostTJ Studio, on 18 June 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

Are there any good VOCALOID tuning tutorials? I wanna become a good VOCALOID tuner to impress my listeners

Giraffey had a tutorial

#8 User is online   Move->Forward Icon

• Icon

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

A simple search on Youtube shows a lot. I just searched "vocaloid tuning tutorial" and a lot came up.

Another thing you can do is watch for VOCALOID producer's livestreams. Also, download VSQxs and see what what the tuner did there.

Don't be afraid to ask for tips and stuff, too! You can ask for critique on your tuning in this thread!

#9 User is offline   dreaminzz Icon

• Space Bunny of Peppermint Chocolate
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:gumi,Miku,

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

Can someone explain to me how to notebend? I don't understand it at all. I can't use just half a word on one note.

#10 User is online   Move->Forward Icon

• Icon

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

I'm not sure, but maybe it's like this:

This shows both, splitting notes as well as Pitch Bend. (I set Pitch Bend Sensitivity to 3)

You can use half a word in a note no problem, just gotta adjust the phonemes.

For example, here, I split a "la" into two notes. The first one is the regular phoneme combination for la [l0 Q]. The second note is [-]. -'s in VOCALOID extend the last vowel sound (and maybe sometimes consonants depending which voicebank you do it with).

You can use hyphens to split words (or other phonemes, but hyphens is the... automatic way? "Classic" way?)

For example, if you want to split the word "red", regularly as one note [r e d], you can split it into two notes like this: [r e] [- d]

Perhaps in note bending, the notes would be slightly different pitch, but typically not that far apart.

I'm not sure if this is what was meant by note bending, but this is my interpretation of it.

#11 User is offline   dreaminzz Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:29 AM

View PostMove->Forward, on 20 June 2017 - 04:43 AM, said:

I'm not sure, but maybe it's like this:

This shows both, splitting notes as well as Pitch Bend. (I set Pitch Bend Sensitivity to 3)

You can use half a word in a note no problem, just gotta adjust the phonemes.

For example, here, I split a "la" into two notes. The first one is the regular phoneme combination for la [l0 Q]. The second note is [-]. -'s in VOCALOID extend the last vowel sound (and maybe sometimes consonants depending which voicebank you do it with).

You can use hyphens to split words (or other phonemes, but hyphens is the... automatic way? "Classic" way?)

For example, if you want to split the word "red", regularly as one note [r e d], you can split it into two notes like this: [r e] [- d]

Perhaps in note bending, the notes would be slightly different pitch, but typically not that far apart.

I'm not sure if this is what was meant by note bending, but this is my interpretation of it.

How do they put that green line through? and I tried to type in [r e d] and also [r e][-d] but it just reverts back to "u"

#12 User is offline   Hatsune-hakase Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:47 AM

View Postdreaminzz, on 22 June 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

How do they put that green line through?

In the Vocaloid4 editor you must press the "pitch render" button to see the pitch curve (it will be a red line in Vocaloid4). This is the button that looks like a little mountain range. The pitch curve will disappear the moment you make a change, so you'll have to re-render it every time. PiaPro (which Move->Forward is using) automatically renders the pitch curve in real time so you don't have to do this.

I tried to type in [r e d] and also [r e][-d] but it just reverts back to "u"

When the editor reverts a syllable you've entered to the default, it means you've entered an invalid syllable, which [-d] is. There needs to be a space between the "-" and the "d," so it's [- d].

#13 User is online   Move->Forward Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:15 PM

and I tried to type in [r e d] and also [r e][-d] but it just reverts back to "u"

Be sure to enter "r e" and "- d" where the phonemes are and not the lyrics. By default, the phoneme for notes are u: , so edit where the u: is/was.

And yup! The pitch-rendering line is red! Mine is green because I'm using the one that also shows vibrato in its pitch-render.

#14 User is offline   dreaminzz Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

oh okay I get it all now! thanks people! :)

#15 User is online   Move->Forward Icon

• Icon

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

In Piapro Studio, you just have to click this button above the note (must highlight the note to see it):
Posted Image

and a menu will open.
Posted Image

As for in the VOCALOID4 Editor, you can check out this thread here about that.

Edit: Oh ah, you removed your question;
Did you figure it out?

• (6 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users