VocaloidOtaku.net Forums: Watch SleepySheep try to learn to make an UTAU - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't take you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2018 DevFuse
  • (3 Pages) +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Watch SleepySheep try to learn to make an UTAU My trial an errors with trying to make a somewhat decent UTAU

#1 User is offline   sleepysheep7 Icon

• GET OFF MY LAWN YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS!
  • Icon
  • Group: VO+ Members
  • Vocaloids:BIG AL
  • Producers:OSTER-P

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

Well after getting some encouragement from other members coughAyuroxsenpaicoughcough, I figured I would attempt to document me making an UTAU. Best case scenario is that I make an okay UTAU that some people like. (I know my dream would be for Ayurox and rev over on Youtube to use or mention it, but that is just a fantasy and I should first focus on making something that is halfway decent first) Worst case scenario, I make a subpar UTAU that no one uses and is lost to the internet. Still the only way I will know what will happen is if I just jump into it.

Anyways For my first post I can at least show the gear I am working with and what I have already learned. For my mic and audio interface I am using a ST155 and Scarlett 2i2. I know a lot of people recommend the UR22 from steinburg but I couldn't find one in my local guitar center and after doing some reviews, the scarlett seemed to be newbie friendly as well.

Here is the boxes if you want to seem them
Spoiler

and here is the ST155 on my mic stand with my pop filter I picked up awhile ago. (Please ignore the feather duster and socks on my piano....I'm honestly just lazy)

Spoiler

Set up was pretty simple. I just downloaded the drivers, connected each of the parts, changed my pc properties to use the Scarlett, turned on the 48V, and opened up Fruity loops and hit record and it was done.

Two things I did notice was that when I did record was that when I had headphones on, it would play back instantly what I was recording so that kind of threw me for a loop listening to my own voice while it recorded. Kind of made me stutter. Another thing that I quickly learned is the room I am recording in, has to much reverb. After doing a quick 5 minute google search, What I found was that this was know as flutter reverb. It happens because the walls are to bare and have nothing to stop the bounce of the sound, if that makes sense. It seems that a quick fix to this is getting heavy blankets and from what the guys at the guitar center mentioned, record in a corner. However I think I have solution, granted a bit of hair ball one and that is to use my walk in closet as a DIY studio. It has my clothing through out that will help with the reverb and I have some heavy blankets I can hang around. Worst case scenario is that I have sit down to record instead of stand but I'll tackle then when it happens.

edit: My goal for this week is to try to rig up a DIY studio were I live and try to get a few recordings in to understand what will help with recording.

#2 User is offline   summers50 Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Vocaloids:Miku, Luka, Megpoid
  • Producers:Mitchie, Circus, D*27

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

I used to do recordings too before I gave that up. Rigging up some sound proof is pretty simple. Focus most of the heavy blankets behind you. Second most focus is to block sound behind the mic.
Spoiler
Layering towels works too.

#3 User is offline   sleepysheep7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

Here is another audio test/ audio log of what I have been doing.

Am I martha stewart now?
Pictures of the DIY recording booth
Spoiler

#4 User is offline   sleepysheep7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:45 AM

Oh look another update with equipment. Please excuse the rambling.

I can hear my throat swallowing and it is creepy

#5 User is offline   AyuRox Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:10 AM

nvkl;grnfkl;jefgn please record already. i really wanna hear it.

Also, I recently found this series of videos that I think has some good advice and good warm up exercises, if you're interested: https://www.youtube....5hS7eukUbQ&t=2s

#6 User is offline   sleepysheep7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:05 AM

View PostAyuRox, on 07 December 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

nvkl;grnfkl;jefgn please record already. i really wanna hear it.

Also, I recently found this series of videos that I think has some good advice and good warm up exercises, if you're interested: https://www.youtube....5hS7eukUbQ&t=2s

I'll take all the help I can get to be honest so I will for sure watch them. Also I plan on starting to night. My room mates are currently watching TV so I am just waiting on them to turn it off because while my DIY sound booth thing can get rid of most sound, my roommates turn the TV up so loud that it goes through the wall.

#7 User is offline   AyuRox Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:22 AM

Good luck! Super excited to hear what you do. :D

#8 User is offline   sleepysheep7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:26 AM

Well recording is finally underway. I decided to start my recordings at E3 (E4 on FL keys) since it my natural tone and will work up and down from there. I think most of them are good, but I am not 100% sure on the こ recording since when I listen back to the recording using my Sony MDR headphones; I think I am hearing the furnace in the background. (As I record these we are having our first snow storm of the season which is unusually late) Tell me what you guys think. Should I re-record this one? Or do you think it is okay.

hopefully vocaroo isn't messing them up to badly

#9 User is offline   Sylveranty Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

You really have a nice voice!
The other thing I can hear from that sample is your rather English aspirated "k" (this gush of air you push out between the 'k' and the vowel). In Japanese, the consonants [t, k, p] are not aspirated as e.g. in English or German.
Try to compare these two words, maybe hold a hand in front of your mouth to check for the air you push out:
"scam" and "cam"
"sport" and "port"
"stall" and "tall"

If I am not mistaken it is the same in English and German: In the combination with "s", the consonants [k, t, p] are not aspirated. And that's what you should try to do for Japanese as well.

#10 User is offline   AyuRox Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:56 PM

In addition to what Sylveranty said, keep your mouth more rounded when you pronounce o, but don't round off at the end. I originally thought I was listening to "ka." the o sound in English rounds off at the end and sort of ends in a w-ish sound, but Japanese's o is like Spanish's o, especially in that its a monophthong.

I don't hear any noise in the background, though.

#11 User is offline   sleepysheep7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

View PostSylveranty, on 08 December 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

You really have a nice voice!
The other thing I can hear from that sample is your rather English aspirated "k" (this gush of air you push out between the 'k' and the vowel). In Japanese, the consonants [t, k, p] are not aspirated as e.g. in English or German.
Try to compare these two words, maybe hold a hand in front of your mouth to check for the air you push out:
"scam" and "cam"
"sport" and "port"
"stall" and "tall"

If I am not mistaken it is the same in English and German: In the combination with "s", the consonants [k, t, p] are not aspirated. And that's what you should try to do for Japanese as well.

dang I was afraid of that. I'll redo them to night.

View PostAyuRox, on 08 December 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

In addition to what Sylveranty said, keep your mouth more rounded when you pronounce o, but don't round off at the end. I originally thought I was listening to "ka." the o sound in English rounds off at the end and sort of ends in a w-ish sound, but Japanese's o is like Spanish's o, especially in that its a monophthong.

I don't hear any noise in the background, though.

yeah I was kind of worried I would over round it so I think that is what happened. I'll re record them to night along with s sounds.

#12 User is offline   sleepysheep7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:39 AM

Well I tried to rerecord the k sounds again making them softer. I'm not sure how they turned out. Here is a render from UTAU.

I am using moresampler if it you are wondering

The issue that I am noticing (Or at least I think it is an issue) is that I think the consonant sounds are to long. compared to a few other UTAUs, my consonant area before the note just seems really long. I have no idea if that is due to bad otoing, or just bad recordings.

Here is a picture of each of the k sounds oto'd and placed on the piano roll if it helps people see what i am talking about. I think I am going to have to download a few more UTAUs and see just how long that pre-section needs to be and maybe try to record them again.

Spoiler

#13 User is offline   AyuRox Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:44 AM

They're still aspirated, but its not awful. In my experience aspiration on k's and p's isn't generally as noticeable as it is on t's. The long consonant area is probably the aspiration, though; aspirated consonants are longer than unaspirated ones.

It sounds like you miiight need to move your pink consonant area further right, but it could just be the way its recorded. I'd have to see a screenshot of the oto.

#14 User is offline   sleepysheep7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostAyuRox, on 09 December 2017 - 12:44 AM, said:

They're still aspirated, but its not awful. In my experience aspiration on k's and p's isn't generally as noticeable as it is on t's. The long consonant area is probably the aspiration, though; aspirated consonants are longer than unaspirated ones.

It sounds like you miiight need to move your pink consonant area further right, but it could just be the way its recorded. I'd have to see a screenshot of the oto.

Darn. Well, I guess you can't exactly remove something you have been doing your entire life without a little bit of practice.

Also which part of the oto? the actually editor part where it lets you see it usually? or just the first menu where it shows the recordings and the configurations?

#15 User is offline   AyuRox Icon

• Icon

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

Technically, either or. But its generally easier to do with the actual editor. If you want the numbers to be something specific (eg, exactly 25 ms of overlap, go ahead and type it in, cuz its easier than nudging the lines back and forth, but if the exact number doesn't matter, use the editor.

Cna you post a screenshot of what it looks like in the editor?

• (3 Pages) +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users