VocaloidOtaku.net Forums: Hatsune Miku vs Miku Hatsune: Romanization or Western Order - VocaloidOtaku.net Forums

Welcome to VocaloidOtaku!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which means you are limited to some discussions and certain features.
Take a few minutes to browse around. Should you enjoy what you see, register and you will gain access to more stuff.

Registration is simple and fast. It won't take you more than a minute.
Click here to join!
Guest Message © 2018 DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hatsune Miku vs Miku Hatsune: Romanization or Western Order How do you prefer names originating from the East to be written?

Poll: Hatsune Miku vs Miku Hatsune: Romanization or Western Order (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Direct Romanization or Western Order?

1. Direct Romanization (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Western Order (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

3. Depends on character/situation/etc. (12 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

4. Doesn't matter to me (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Move->Forward Icon

• That Piapro Studio Girl
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Vocaloids:The Cryptons

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

Do you prefer names originating from the East (specifically Eastern VOCALOID names) to be written in direct romaji (order retained) or western order (first name, last name)?

Just in case someone may be unfamiliar, often in Asian culture, the last name is given before the first name (including character names). (In the West, the reverse is true).
As a perhaps obvious example, but an example nonetheless, Hatsune Miku is ordered last name then first name, a direct romanization of 初音ミク. (初音 = Hatsune & ミク = Miku)
The western order of her name (first name then last name) would be Miku Hatsune.

This question also applies to other languages as well (Luo Tianyi vs Tianyi Luo for a Chinese example). It's not called "romaji" for other languages, but the concept remains the same.

#2 User is offline   Mac Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

I generally prefer the romanized version. It depends on the context, though. When introducing Miku to foreigners (non-Japanese people), I think I'd go for Miku Hatsune so they don't get confused by her name.

#3 User is offline   idoltrash69 Icon

• 2D women > 3D women
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Rin, Miku, IA, flower, Iroha, Len, Yuki
  • Producers:Jin, PinocchioP, GigaP, MARETU, Osanzi

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

For me I guess it depends on the character. I never refer to Miku as "Miku Hatsune", it's always "Hatsune Miku". But for example, I refer to Rin as both "Rin Kagamine" and "Kagamine Rin".

View PostMac, on 09 January 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

When introducing Miku to foreigners (non-Japanese people), I think I'd go for Miku Hatsune so they don't get confused by her name.

That's a really good idea lmao

#4 User is offline   Rylitah Icon

• kiyoteru enthusiast 三 ( ロ w ロ )
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Kiyoteru
  • Producers:Peperon-P

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Direct romanization sounds more natural to me, honestly. It just usually flows better, I think?

Though I do the same as Mac said above; when talking to someone who doesn't really know or think about eastern vs western order of names, I usually say it in the western order.

#5 User is offline   ZAR-PARTY Icon

• Miku's Self-proclaimed Bodyguard
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Hatsune Miku, Megurine Luka
  • Producers:OkameP, LamazeP, nekobolo

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

Miku Cryptonovich Hatsune of course.

When I upload an English song, I usually prefer the Western order because the audition is mainly from the West, including a few people who hear of her for the first time. It's the same situation as mentioned above. If I'd upload a Japanese song (me and songs meheheh) on popular western platforms, I'd use her romanized name in eastern order because the audience would mainly be her fans.
Personally, I prefer her original eastern order since all of the official things, such as voice libraries, games, merchandise etc., use it.

#6 User is offline   Paradoxical Icon

• Icon
  • Vocaloids:Iroha, Dex, Kaito
  • Producers:PeperonP, Ebot

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

I go with the Japanese order on most things, except when the company themselves writes it in western order (i.e. Crypton uses Hatsune Miku, but for Ring it's written as Ring Suzune).

Sadly, it does cause confusion among a large number of fans that just assume everything is written in western order without verifying anything and then use their last names as if they are first names. I can't count how many times I've seen Yukari, Lapis, or Tianyi referred to as "Yuzuki," "Aoki," or "Luo."

I like to assume that some know it's their last name and just prefer that, but most times I see it mixed in with the first names of others. I.e. Miku, Luka, Iroha, Aoki, and Rin.

#7 User is offline   BenHo Icon

• Icon
  • Producers:Yuyoyuppe, Utsu-P, Muryoku-P

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

Hatsune Miku for sure. I tend to prefer direct romanization most of the time, especially if we're talking about a translation that retains the honorifics. (Every time I see "Tsukino Usagi-San" romanized as "Usagi Tsukino-San" in the Sailor Moon manga, I scream)

#8 User is offline   Eenkin Icon

• Icon

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

Usually default to western order unless they are advertised with the eastern order for the west.

#9 User is online   Somebodyrandom Icon

• Icon
  • Producers:Shu-tP

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

I think I prefer "Hatsune Miku".

Not really bothered though... I only get slightly ticked off if I see "Hatsune Miku" and "Miku Hatsune" being used at the same time in an article.

Most of the time I use just "Miku" anyway out of laziness, I usually see "Miku" from others too.

#10 User is offline   Mantis128 Icon

• Roger Roger
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:Big Al, Gumi and Cryptonloids.
  • Producers:Micheal Bay

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

I go with "Miku Hatsune" since I'm speaking English and that's just how names work in the language. However, I frequently use the other order when searching up songs and fanart since that's what everyone else uses for their tags and stuff.

#11 User is offline   SKAmanda Icon

• All good things must come to an end
  • Icon
  • Vocaloids:MEIKO, MEIKO, MEIKO, MEIKO
  • Producers:MijipinP, Tiara, maya, mie

Posted Today, 12:47 AM

Ive never called her anything other than hatsune miku, i always found it odd when people flipped it. Only way i could see it not seeming odd is if people call miku hatsune for like a fanfic or something.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users